Things you DID like about the Fellowship of the Ring.

myrdden

First Post
I liked the fact that this movie gave me the same wonder and thrill as I had when I first saw Star Wars as a kid. I have not had that same experience until now.

Myrdden

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Wow, there's so much there... I'll just list the highlights.

* The shadow world
* Isenguard's transformation
* Gandalf
* The orcs (& their swords)

Sulimo

First Post
Hmm...

The visuals. With very few exceptions it was perfect.

Legolas, Gandalf & Bilbo. Beautifully done.

Arwen. With the exception of the bit right at the ford, I thought she was great. In fact I'm hoping for more Arwen stuff on the DVD.

The transformation of Isengard. That was simply awesome.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Like many of you there really is so much to this movie to like that it is hard to choose, but here it goes -

Boromir. Flat out my favourite character in the movie. In the books he always seemed to me to be an arrogant ass who just wanted the ring for himself.

In the movie he comes across as desperate to save his people and all the people of Middle Earth and sees the ring as the means to save us all. At the council his description of Mordor's defences is chilling and his line "not with 10,000 men could you do this. It is folly ." is one of his most powerful scenes IMHO.

His friendship with Merry and Pippen is touching even though all too brief and his death scene is truly heart-wrenching as he at last accepts Aragorn as his King. An inspired adaptation of what was to me a weak character in the books.

Moria. Breathtaking. A vision pulled from my own worst nightmares. It also is the scene of some of the best lines of the movie

"This isn't a mine. It's a tomb." - Boromir
"And now we must face the long Dark of Moria." - Gandalf
"Nobody tosses the Dwarf!" - Gimli (and you knew i'd put it in :D)
"You'll find there's still one Dwarf in Moria who can still draw blood!" - Gimli again

And course this leads us to;

The Balrog - Incredible. Fire and Shadow made flesh. A horror from the 'deep places of the world'. My favourite monster in any movie.

Legolas, Galadriel, Gandalf, the Hobbits, Elrond - ok just about every character !! I mean it the casting was flawless. Everyone had a moment to shine and really seemed to leap into their roles and take the spirit of the books to heart. I am glad they filmed al these movies at once because this gives me hope that this level of invovlment in their characters will remain through the series (remember the sleepwalking act Mark Hamill
and Carrie Fisher did in Return of the Jedi? brrrrrr)

I am goiung on way too long here and just say

Keep going to see this movie! Lets get it into the top 5 money makers of all-time!!!!

Bill Hillbilly

First Post
What did I like?

hmm....

EVERYTHING!!!

I thought that the Nazgul were fairly scary, especially in the Woods scene where they sort of popped out. It was startling. And the Nazgul in the Spirit World were quite creepy.

The Balrog was REALLY cool. It was just like I had imagined it with the Fire and Shadow and all.

Christopher Lee made an excellent Saruman. The transformation of Isengard was great.

Galadriel. Except for the bit with the freak-out, it was perfect. Cate Blanchett was truly talented in that role, and the light touch of special effects made her seem ethereal and other-worldly, as befits the High Queen of the Noldor.

The Ring. I think it was <insert superlative here> the touches they added, like the ring whispering "ash nazg Krimpatul, ash nazg...," and the ring hitting the ground with a thud, instead of a bounce, and especially when Gimli broke his axe over it, that just added a sort of menace to the Ring, it made it seem like the Ring was alive and scheming, not just a piece of metal. Did you notice when Bilbo said "its my...precious," he sounded exactly like Gollum? That was a nice touch. And especially the Bilbo-wanting-his-Precious scene, that was the first time I have ever truly been startled, watching a movie.

And the Lidless Eye. That was one of the best touches in the movie. It was just like I imagined it from the book.

Alright, enough gushing for me. Any more and I might drown...

"The Road goes ever on and on..."

Harlequin

First Post
Replicant said:
What did I like most about Fellowship of the Ring?

Peter Jackson's courage, and vision, above all else. Having the guts to make the movie, streamline the books where they needed to be streamlined, even tweak where necessary. Tolkien-purists be damned.

Given a visual medium and a three-hour window as constraints, Mr. Jackson did a far better job than I could ever have hoped.

Here Here!

Well said dude

Harlequin

BronzeDragon

Explorer
As the starter of the "did NOT" thread, I feel compelled to post here. Since I obviously cannot point out everything I liked (it's so much more than what I disliked), I'll raise what are, in my opinion, the highlights.

1 - I'll start with what is, in my mind, the best scene of the movie. The Balrog! This scene is probably going to be burned in fire in my mind to my very last day.

2 - Moria! The setting was basically perfect (except for the spidery orcs, but that belongs in the other thread :) ), and I just gaped at the rendering of one of the Great Halls.

3 - Hobbiton. It came basically out of my mind and, I bet, out of the mind of most people who read the book.

4 - Gandalf! Sir Ian is just great. His acting is powerful without being overdone, and he really passed along the feeling of the character.

5 - The Last Alliance! One of the best short battle scenes ever rendered in a motion picture.

6 - Did I mention the Balrog? Oh, I did...anyway...the BALROG!!!

7 - Barad-Dûr. Beautifully evil and dark...one of the best renderings of a fortress I've ever seen.

8 - The scene of Frodo and Sam seeing Mordor! Straight out of an Alan Lee picture (or some other Tolkien artist, anyway).

9 - Saruman. Although I disliked the "slave to Mordor" thing and the battle with Gandalf, Christopher Lee did a textbook portrayal of the Istari.

10 - How could I forget this, the Pass of Argonath! Again, straight out of my mind...I'll always remember it.

I think I didn't leave any important part out, except maybe if I didn't mention the Balrog. Did I? Oh...it must be my age...

Lothaire

First Post
I can't list every little thing I liked because I'd rather not be typing all day.

But my favorite stuff:

The Balrog
Moria
The Scenes of the Second Age
The Nazgul
The Wraith world
How the ring whispered "Ash nazg durbataluk, ash naz gimbatul, agh burzum ishi-krimpatul."

Darrell

First Post
Like most everyone, the things I liked are WAAAAY too numerous to list, but the three chief things about the movie that stick out in my mind are little things, and are all caused to be so memorable by Ian McKellan and/or Ian Holm:

1. Gandalf and Bilbo in Hobbiton

From the minute Bilbo opens the round, green door of Bag End, the old friendship between the two characters is perfectly evident. Seeing the two sitting on the hillside blowing smoke rings, I could almost "see" them remembering the events of 'The Hobbit.' Perfect.

2. Gandalf at Rivendell

The look(s) on Gandalf's face when Frodo speaks up in the council, volunteering to take the ring to Mordor. In those few seconds, it seems that about fifty different emotions play across his face--anxiety, sadness, fear, resignation, weariness, and even pride and admiration. Again, perfect.

3. Bilbo _after_ he freaks out over the ring

"I'm sorry for...everything." To those relatively uninitiated in Tolkien-lore, it demonstrates--more than anything else in the film--the true weight borne by the ringbearer. To those (like my brother and I) who quite literally 'grew up' with Bilbo and Company on the bookshelf, it is a truly heart-wrenching scene. Yet again, perfect.

The true strength of this movie, even with the wonderful effects, sets, action sequences, etc., lies in the acting. This is a _movie_, not just a special-effects extravaganza.

Peter Jackson's casting was superb, but in my opinion, his choices for Gandalf and Bilbo were, in short,...

...perfect.

Regards,
Darrell King

Remove ads