• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Third Eye Sense question

Teneb

Explorer
The Third Eye Sense entry in the Magic Item Compendium indicates that spells/powers can't be cast/manifested through it. However, it allows a character (a divine mind in my campaign's case) to "see" somewhere without necessarily having line of sight. An example would be they could see and hear behind a closed door. Here's the question: could the DivM manifest an Astral Construct on the other side of a door? The Third Eye gives him line of sight and because it's behind a door he's standing next to, it's well within the range of the power.

I'm leaning towards allowing it since he has line of sight (effectively). I wouldn't allow damaging powers because he doesn't have line of effect. I'm not entirely certain those last two made sense, but I understand what I'm talking about :D Thoughts from my esteemed colleagues?

Someone

Adventurer
Line of sight isn't enough: you need line of effect, even if you're not manifesting a damaging power, since the astral construct is a spell's effect:

SRD said:
A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

Remove ads