Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

And for those of who not in the UK, According to BBC America, 1.4 million people watched the season 11 premiere of Doctor Who live. Including those who watched it later that day, the episode garnered around 2.6 million viewers overall for BBC America.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And for those of who not in the UK, According to BBC America, 1.4 million people watched the season 11 premiere of Doctor Who live. Including those who watched it later that day, the episode garnered around 2.6 million viewers overall for BBC America.

Yeah it’s a lot less popular in the US. Not surprising I guess.

10m viewers in the U.K. is one in 6 people. The equivalent pro rated for population would be 50m viewers in the US. So per head it’s 25 times less popular in the US.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tom Bakers only other famous role was in Voyages of Sinbad which is what got him recommended for Dr Who. He was also in his 30s before he actually got into acting.

Personally I’d say Peter Davidson was probably the first well known actor to be cast as the Doctor having become known through his role as Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small.

Of course we also need a shout out to John Hurt who is likely the most famous actor to kinda-take the role

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Yeah it’s a lot less popular in the US. Not surprising I guess.

10m viewers in the U.K. is one in 6 people. The equivalent pro rated for population would be 50m viewers in the US. So per head it’s 25 times less popular in the US.
It's growing in popularity. My 14 year old nephew has recently discovered it. Like many teens he knows almost nothing of things older than himself. So he was surprised when I told him about the older episodes.

Many here have a hard time relating to something not American. Canada gets a pass because they sound like us. My mom has difficulty hearing so accents are enough for her to turn away from Doctor Who and other British shows. Others can't get past the cheesy FX of the 80s.

Richards

Legend
And still other Americans fell instantly in love with the show back in the 1970s (Pertwee era) when they first saw it, cheesy effects and all, and actually owe their marriages to Doctor Who. I'm one of them.

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And still other Americans fell instantly in love with the show back in the 1970s (Pertwee era) when they first saw it, cheesy effects and all, and actually owe their marriages to Doctor Who. I'm one of them.

That's awesome. :)

Haha, accents... At least its your mother tongue! English is only my second language, and I only started regularly watching TV shows (back than thanks to Torrent) in English when I was an adult. Doctor Who can be a real challenge, since most TV I watch is still American. But I am kinda getting the hang on it. Sometimes i give up and turn on subtitles, though. (But I think less often for British shows than for shows that use heavy US-specific accents, like on Preacher.)

As awesome as some of the "old" Doctors where, they do show their age in the way they tell stories. Some of their "seasons" have stories that today would be told in a single episode. It is fascinating how things changed. I wonder if storytelling has really improved, or if it's just that we all grew up so intimately familiar with modern TV and movie rules, standards and tropes that we just can be shown the same stories at a faster pace without losing any meaning. And if someone outside this "TV culture" would watch a modern movie or TV show, he'd be overwhelmed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Haha, accents... At least its your mother tongue! English is only my second language, and I only started regularly watching TV shows (back than thanks to Torrent) in English when I was an adult. Doctor Who can be a real challenge, since most TV I watch is still American. But I am kinda getting the hang on it. Sometimes i give up and turn on subtitles, though. (But I think less often for British shows than for shows that use heavy US-specific accents, like on Preacher.)

As awesome as some of the "old" Doctors where, they do show their age in the way they tell stories. Some of their "seasons" have stories that today would be told in a single episode. It is fascinating how things changed. I wonder if storytelling has really improved, or if it's just that we all grew up so intimately familiar with modern TV and movie rules, standards and tropes that we just can be shown the same stories at a faster pace without losing any meaning. And if someone outside this "TV culture" would watch a modern movie or TV show, he'd be overwhelmed.

A lot of it is just what you’re used to. Somebody from the 70s watching a modern episode would find it fast-paced and frenetic to the point of incomprehension. While we find 70s stuff to be slow and plodding.

You can get used to anything, and difference seems weird. That’s why just in our relatively homogenous western world, minor differences can seem utterly baffling and nonsensical.

Richards

Legend
So, "Arachnids in the UK" - that was a good episode! (Of course, I have a close relative who's an avowed arachnophobe who will probably never be able to watch it.)

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I quite enjoyed Arachnids, and found it creepy enough (as a Doctor Who episode should). But I am one of those almost arachnophobic types, so it keyed right into my pyche for free. I don't think I'll remember it in years to come, but it was a competent episode.

Remove ads