• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This DM is regretting let PCs run wild.

Turik2100

First Post
In all my years of playing D&D I've only co-op DMed, but now I'm on my own and I messed up. Here are the basic rules I set up for the two people I am playing with.

1. Any source material
  2. Gestalt is allowed
  3. No monster races
  4. No Lv Adj over +3

Well unfortunatly they exploited my first rule way and I couldn't say no to them cause it was my rule. The first guy is a Worforged Fighter/Artificer and the other guy is a human Tenken (I didn't know about D&D wiki). I already knew how OP the Artificer gets but I didn't know there was a place called D&D wiki and that they had homebrew classes. Now they are level four and the Artificer is crafting items for the Tenken which is not a problem until they told me what they built. Now the Tenken at Lv 4 has an AC of 25 and the Warforged cast a spell called Dragons Might on himself and permanently has those stat boosts. Now I'm at a loss on how to counter act these PC's with out killing them, which I almost did during the last session if I had not intervened.

If you guys can give any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Start over again. The first rule ("any source material") was a big mistake. It wasn't even any WotC stuff. A player could write a class on the wiki and then ask to play it. Admit your mistake and try again.

You can challenge even epic level PC's with the 3 T's (terrain, traps, and tactics). My favorite story is Tucker's Kobolds in which he used smart kobolds who trapped and ambushed PC's from places they couldn't get to, then they harried them until they almost died.

I also like to use mooks/minions (think 4E w/ 1 hp each and static damage) to drain the resources from PC's, they will feel powerful one-shotting them, but at the same time they aren't anything special and are good for fodder. before you toss in your BBEG and main attackers, you will have to think tactically and put them up against smart and/or powerful enemies.

Since you are allowing any source material and gestalts, your group will be pretty powerful as you've already seen. Ideally you'll go through a few sessions and learn how to tune your encounters up or down to challenge them but not TPK them right away. Not every session needs to be about combat either, you can have some good skill challenges in there for them and try to create some role playing which doesn't include going and killing everything.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Simply say "any source material, subject to approval". If it doesn't fit your campaign, doesn't seem balanced, or you just don't like it, say "No". If they ask for an explanation, give them a succinct and truthful one and move on.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I don't quite see the problem, just throw opponents at them that matches their effective level (around 6-10?). It's not like there are any rules on how you create opponents to use.

I had a pretty overpowered party once, and ended up using a berserker with deathless frenzy (can't die from hp damage while in frenzy). Stuff like that should be expected in a game where everything is allowed.

If you want a "serious" game, or one where you can use level apporpriate opponents, you have to start over. ;)

VariSami

First Post
Really, a DM that thinks he cannot control his players' choices because of arbitrarily agreeing on allowing them to do things that turned out to be broken? The fact that it turned out to be a mistake should be enough to persuade you to think it over. Of course, if you really think that the players have a right to those characters, you can easily challenge them at those levels. It's not like you have a Pun-Pun or Omniscificer in your hands. Nor overpowered level 20+ characters.

Also, I checked the Tenken at D&Dwiki. It doesn't seem broken at all. I might be missing something but mostly it seems like a samurai-inspired fighter with monk style mechanics. High AC? A sword and shield fighter in full plate can easily reach 21 AC without using any feats - at level 1.

Really, I think you are probably overreacting. Even the Gestalt Artificer went with fighter. Artificer might be the most broken class of all (ok, Erudite might come close) but he still went with a martial secondary class from Tier 5. Relax. Although they might seem strong, they are still easily challengable as long as you don't cater exclusively to their strong points. A high AC can be bypassed easily and should be done at least sometimes because that's a part of the gaming experience as a whole.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Simply say "any source material, subject to approval". If it doesn't fit your campaign, doesn't seem balanced, or you just don't like it, say "No". If they ask for an explanation, give them a succinct and truthful one and move on.
This.

You don't need to start over; just fess up to your players, and tell them they'll have to revamp their characters using OKed options.

My standing rule is "Everything's allowed, but I reserve the right to nerf or ban if something becomes problematic." This applies to all options, even from the PHB.

Alternatively, start over with 4e and you pretty much won't have to worry about broken stuff. :)

knottyprof

First Post
Biggest issue with this that every DM needs to watch out for is becoming too adversarial with the player's characters. If you feel they are too powerful you may decide to throw more powerful opponents against them with the goal of utterly defeating them. You have to remember this is just a game and both you and your players are after having a time of enjoying each other's company in a game, not destroying each other (unless that is everyone's understanding at the start of the game). I say just let them run with their characters but add limits if you think they are going overboard (never really looked into the Artificer class but I understand they craft magic items and such). If the artificer wants to make something special for the other character make them work for it (special materials, stuff that cannot just be bought).

Also, throw enemies at them that exploits their weaknesses rather than their strengths. Again, not in the purpose of killing them but definitely challenge them.

Things Mr Welch Cannot Do in an RPG Anymore:
100. When any character from a d20 sourcebook is allowed, that doesn't include System Lords.

Admit your mistake, ask the group for feedback and see if you can either start over or, if the players are cool with it, have some sort of powerful Demon or Inevitable show up and drain their powers / levels. They start back at level 1 with one class.

I feel this can be a learning experience for you and your group. Don't chicken out like some of these other guys are saying and start over or nerf your players, go with it and use it to make yourself a better GM. If you never step out of your comfort zone you can't learn and grow. I like to challenge myself as a GM with new/innovative concepts, adventure ideas, monsters, skill challenges, and story hooks.

In the end though, it really does have to be fun for you and your players. If you can't find out ways to challenge them without killing them outright then I'd say talk to the players, be honest about your assessments with the game, and work out a compromise that everyone can live with whether that is dialing back their PC's or starting over with a better understanding of the game with more limits.

Remove ads