This thread is about the awesomeness of halflings

Orius

Legend
Someone once said they wanted to see a battle royale between Yondolla and Garl. Ever since they said this, I have said this, because WAR OF THE GODLY MIDGETS!!

I'd put my money on Garl. He's more likely to cheat and fight dirty.

And those of you bashing halflings need a visit from a certain Belkar Bitterleaf. :devil:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Gotta agree. Gnomes are right out.

I've enjoyed playing halflings over the years, ever since I saw a little movie called "Willow". Classic fighter underdog, rogue, bard, one Barbarian, and recently, a warlock.... there are roles for every little person. ;)

Gilladian

Adventurer
My halfling shadowdancer, Buttercup - daughter of the local mob boss (who was killed just before the first adventure, along with half the city in a major war) - has always been my absolute favorite character.

Her best friend was a paladin with serious nearsightedness. His glasses spent more time in her pocket than on his face, and she had MORE FUN than any other PC I've run in decades.

Gnomes on the other hand, always made me rawk. They're nothing like the mythical sources would have you portray them, and they overlap halflings and elves too much.

IMC I've given halflings some of the gnome ability with burrowing animals and innate magic, and just use the one race. I ignore all the "techno" stuff, since I don't focus on any of it in my world, anyway.

Long live the halflings!

A

amerigoV

Well, considering their small size is their largest trait, I'm guessing that's where their awesomeness comes from. So if we cut a halfing in half, he should be twice as awesome! He'd be a quarterling!

They were called Quicklings, and were coooooool (supersonic fast, highly motivated). Unlike Halflings, which just eat all your food and make up boring songs.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The last time halfling PCs were even available in a campaign I ran or played in, I took the Ghostwise Halflings from the 3e FRCS, kinda tortured and twisted them a bit (OK, a lot) and customised them, rules-wise.

Quite happy with the results, actually.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Gotta agree. Gnomes are right out.

I've enjoyed playing halflings over the years, ever since I saw a little movie called "Willow". Classic fighter underdog, rogue, bard, one Barbarian, and recently, a warlock.... there are roles for every little person. ;)

I've always seen Nelwyn as more Gnome-like than Halflings. Maybe a bit taller and bigger than Gnomes, but still smaller than halflings. I know Wikipedia equates them with Halflings, but Nelwyn are what i use as a model for Gnomes in my games.

But, it just goes to show the differences between all of our perceptions of D&D races. Everyone's "picture" is a little different.

But in reality they may be closer to the way you see them, especially since the Nelwyn don't have lairs...which since Gnomes are monsters, they do...:p

Joker

First Post
I agree that halfling characters seem to be in short supply. Perhaps people think little of them because of their obvious shortcomings but those people are just small minded.

Remove ads