• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thread Access Suggestion

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe this would be more work than it is worth to implement, but I'll suggest it...

Occasionally, we wind up with long threads - 10 or more pages. On the forum's page they are listed like this:

"Thread Title (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)"

Where "Last Page" actually seems to take you to the last post in the thread.

Now, most of the time this is fine, as usually the threads aren't much longer than 10 pages anyway. But it seems to me that it might be more useful to list a long thread (say, of X pages) like this:

"Thread Title (1 2 3 4 5 ... X-2 X-1 X Last)"

Or something similar. Good exampel here would be the Morrus' Rant thread. As of this writing, the darned thing is 34 pages long! Rather than focus on the beginning of the thread, might it not make more sense to focus a bit more on the end, giving folks an easier way to see where thing started and where the ended up? It would also make catching up on the last couple of pages of a long thread simpler, no?

Greylock

First Post
FWIW, this is a very good idea. I tend to give up on threads once they reach the 10 page threshold. I can't possibly be the only other one...

Fieari

Explorer
I don't give up on threads after 10 pages, but sometimes, going to bed and then checking late the next day, multiple pages have been posted in the meantime. It'd be nice to be able to click on the page I left off on, two or three pages back, rather than clicking "Last page" and backtracking from there.

Last edited:

cybertalus

First Post
Fieari said:
I don't give up on threads after 10 pages, but sometimes, going to bed and then checking late the next day, multiple pages have been posted in the meantime. It'd be nice to be able to click on the page I left off on, two or three pages back, rather than clicking "Last page" and backtracking from there.

There's a way to do that already. A couple actually.

1. When clicking on a thread with new messages since your last visit, don't click on the thread title, but aim for the little box just to the left of it. In the Player's Handbook style it looks like a box with a ">" inside that has been rotated so it points down.

2. Click on the thread title as normal, then when the thread loads, click on the link that reads "View First Unread". It's on the left just below the big "Post Reply" button.

Remove ads