• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thread Forking Approval

Rakor

First Post
Not sure if this is appropriate but I just wanted to provide some feedback. The thread forking option is the best thing I have ever seen on a messageboard. At least half of the problem I find with threads is threads which devolve into an argument about something which is technically on topic but not really useful to the thread as a whole. Economics is a key culprit here, dragonboobs are another. Being able to just shunt the discussion into it's own thread is awesome.

fba827

Adventurer
Thread forking is nice. But sometimes a gentle late night thread spooning is even better ....
oh, wait, that's not what we're talking about. ;)

But, yes, back on topic, thread forking = most excellent :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I disagree. Conversations drift. That's the nature of all conversation. If someone wants to rigorously enforce "we will ONLY talk about THIS topic!" they should be posting a blog, not creating a message board thread.

At the very least, "FORKED THREAD:" at the start of (waaaay too many) threads needs to be replaced with something a little shorter. Maybe just a fork icon or something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I disagree. Conversations drift. That's the nature of all conversation. If someone wants to rigorously enforce "we will ONLY talk about THIS topic!" they should be posting a blog, not creating a message board thread.

Given that the division is not made by the forkee, this is not an issue. The OP does not get to "enforce" anything.

fba827

Adventurer
Nothing is stopping the poster from _not_ forking. So forking is for someone who
1) wants to offer a divergant topic AND 2) wants to take the conversation to another thread.

If just #1 then he'd continue to post in the thread as everyone has always done before the _option_ to fork. Options are good.

Remove ads