Three new Star Wars movies

Zardnaar

Legend
Attack of the Clones is the worst one by far. I’d prefer to watch Rise of Skywalker. And I’m 42.

Oh, and my kids (11, 14, and 17) love Star Wars. The ST didn’t kill their love of SW at all.

Hard call that one. About an hour of AotC is good. RoS is kinda stupid start to finish.

But is stupid better than God awful the rest of AotC hmmnn.

Prequels landed the ending ST didn't.

Scary thing is AotC and RoS aren't the worst.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A couple of you seem to be getting personal and rude here. Please stop before I have to address you individually....

pukunui

Legend
Hard call that one.
Hard call for you maybe. As I said, I'd rather watch The Rise of Skywalker than Attack of the Clones. I don't think the former is as bad as a lot of people around here seem to think it is. Yes, Ep II has some watchable moments in it, but I'll take zombie Palps and nonsensical dagger maps over Anakin and Padme's cringey courting and all the leaden action scenes any day.

Clint_L

Hero
You are so wrong (look I can do it too!)... The sequels are total garbage with no redemption, almost no one likes them, stop kidding yourself. The Prequels are at least still Star Wars in spirit, sure PM was old school "made for tv special" level lame but the next two were nowhere near as rotten as TLJ (all time worst) and TRoS. I don't own it but I sure as heck supported it for decades and it was really great as a kid to have that for all those years. To see it wrecked is a bummer and kid's now think SW is generally stupid and lame, my son's gen couldn't give two craps about SW because they trashed it. You got a blip on Grogu, but they don't really care about the IP, it's just cute muppet level. Didn't know you were the part of party police, talk about entitled, fits right in with where SW is as an IP these days.
Hmmm...these are just my opinions on the live action stuff after the first three:

Force Awakens was good fun, highly rated on RT, and I believe the highest grossing domestic film of all time, so someone liked it. Last Jedi is often excellent - I could do without the pointless side quest, but the director was actually taking Star Wars in a fresh direction, which it desperately needs. Rise was pretty terrible, no argument there, and its biggest failure is that it chickens out of following up on the direction of Last Jedi and just gave us a hackneyed return to status quo. Kind of like the first episode of Mandalorian this season.

Phantom Menace is offensively bad. The writing is terrible on every level. It is basically a children's movie most of the time, except a bad one, but then with other scenes that would traumatize a child. Starting Darth Vader out as an adorable, happy little slave is one of the most mind-boggling writing decisions in film history. Good lightsaber battle, though. Attack of the Clones is less offensive but has no memorable qualities and, yeah, one of the least convincing "romances" in a major film. Sith is by far the best of a bad lot but is still not good.

Rogue One is good. Had the guts to go with a tragic ending for the protagonists. I like it.

Solo is a classic example of a pointless prequel. If they'd just cast a better actor and given us a Han Solo adventure that didn't worry about paying off various Star Wars Easter eggs it could have been good.

Mandalorian is a very basic, episodic story. Fun, definitely heavily reliant on the charisma of Pedro Pascal to make it work. Current season seems lost.

Boba Fett is arguably dumber than Phantom Menace. I can't think of a single redeeming feature for this.

Obi Wan had a just okay plot, but Ewan McGregor is reliably excellent, and I loved the final battle, so it paid off for me.

Andor is the best TV series of 2022, the best written Star Wars thing ever, and it isn't close, and absolutely gave me hope for the franchise.

Ryujin

Legend
I watched the original trilogy in theatres and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Despite the directorial infighting and poor choices I made it through the sequel trilogy, and had fun.

I have never managed to complete watching the prequel trilogy. Saw the first two in theatres. Waited for the third to make it to home video and stopped watching maybe 20 minutes in. Haven't gone back.

I'm doing a rewatch of the sequels recently, and I kinda enjoyed the first 2. But I forgot how jarring it was to start the 3rd movie and READING (in the scrolling text at the beginning of the movie) "Palpatine is back..."

I was like "woah, just like that?". Really weirded me out.

pukunui

Legend
I'm doing a rewatch of the sequels recently, and I kinda enjoyed the first 2. But I forgot how jarring it was to start the 3rd movie and READING (in the scrolling text at the beginning of the movie) "Palpatine is back..."

I was like "woah, just like that?". Really weirded me out.
It honestly didn't bother me. It fits with the whole pulpy action/adventure vibe, of which the opening crawl is a big part. It's that whole "Here's a bit of context, now let's jump right in!"

Remove ads