• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Through Darkness, Light ("the plethora of prospective permutations")

Erekose13

Explorer
Chenroeth, male litorian mage blade 1

*Chenroeth catches the tossed sunstick, nodding in thanks to Maedril. When all cry foul at the light, he tucks it in his cloak sheathing the clearing in darkness again.*

"Aoe Namara, I agree with you. I was of the opinion that we should wait till morning. Most seemed to want to head out now so I decided that having another means of following the trail would be the least I could provide. Now that I have the scent it is calling to me, I think we should set out while it is still fresh. As to the light, I believe that I will be able to tell approximately how old the trail is by scent and will conceal the light when we are about 2 hours behind our prey. For now though, I do not want to trapse through the dark stumbling over every root and branch."

*Chenroeth having offered his view, will wait to see what the others wish to do.*

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Aoe-Narara, Female Giant Warmain 1

It's obvious which way the wind is blowing. Perhaps I am being too cautious. Onwward!"

Aoe-Narara drops to the back of the group and tries to remain as silent and alert as possible.

dead_radish

Explorer
Aelin shrugs. "Visibility is our chief concern at this juncture, I agree. If the olfactory trail will alert us in due time, visual cues could be helpful now." He blinks. "Besides. It is duecedly hard to read in the dark."

Erekose13

Explorer

"Alright it is settled then lets head out now. I will lead." Chenroeth says as he unveils a little of the sunrod. He will try to keep it from glowing completely by hiding it in his left sleeve. That way he can try to point the pool of light only at the trail. Then with everyone assembled and the light ready he sets off down the trail using the scent and his minor tracking ability to follow the trail.

Macbeth

First Post
The forest hanges over the path ominously, obscurring any light except what is provided by the sunrod. The path is easy enough to follow, it was a large group, so the scent is fairly strong.
After a short time spent following the smell, the scent has grown strog enough that, to Chenroeth's best geuss, the group your are following is about two hours ahead. The forest still appears empty, it seems you could proceed further without worrying about being caught. Chenroeth, with his enhanced sense of smell, picks up the extremelly faint smell of a cooking fire, presumably made by the group you are following. There is still just enough time left before sun rise that you could make it to the aproximate position of the camp before dawn. With the location of your prey determined, will you proceed now, or wait and sleep? (Really, you can do whatever you want to, I just want to emphasize that if you wanted to, you could find the cmap during the night)

dead_radish

Explorer
Aelin raises his head from the book he's been buried in for the ride, and peers around.

"Arboerus Hyanithis!" He reaches up towards a tree, and begins scraping at a piece of what seems to be hideously ugly blue moss. He grins happily, and stuffs it in a vial, before looking around at the group. "Very rare. Sorry." He peers around. "We've ceased motion. Why so? Do we draw near to our erstwhile quarry? Or is it time for a repast? I would think the rising of the sun is near enough that pressing on would be our most efficacious course of action...."

Arador

First Post
Maedril, Sibeccai Champion of Death 1

Seeing the group pause, Maedril tenses, ready to fight. He holds back a yawn, trying to keep completely focused. He whispers to the nearest companion - "Is our foe near?"

Aernoeth

First Post
Aernoeth Swiftblade level 1 Quickling Unfettered

Aernoeth lets out a long yawn. "Sorry," he mutters. "I'm tired."

The Quickling has his mighty blade out (actually it is just a dagger, but proportioned on the small Fey it seems much larger), and he is staring into the night. His sensitive eyes note that the sky is a tiny bit lighter. "Dawn comes soon!" Aernoeth hisses. "We'll be able to see much better soon .... but if we don't hurry, the Bandits will be all awake."

Erekose13

Explorer

Chenroeth pauses in the trail and turns to his companions, careful to keep his sunrod hidden so as not to ruin their night vision. "They are not too far ahead. Their trail is a few hours old and I have caught the scent of a cooking fire a little ways ahead. If we wish to ambush them we can probably make it there just before dawn. Having tracked through the wilderness in the middle of the night I am a bit tired, but I think that we have an opportunity that should not be passed up.", he says quietly.

Remove ads