• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Throwing a gem to a friend?

Mallerick

First Post
You are sprinting away from a band of ravenous kobolds. Being faster than the armored paladin you make it across a decaying bridge ahead of him and it collapses. He has the gem you have been searching for your entire adventuring careers. He throws it to you.

What are the modifiers for this move.

Is it just a ranged attack vs. a dc?
Ranged attack vs an AC like 10 or something?

And then on the other side do you catch with certain modifers?

I'm not sure about this one can anyone help?

Mallerick

First Post
Ranged attack vs. dc15?

Attachments

• en5ider 257 snapshot Tribe of Nar Adsch.JPG
    en5ider 257 snapshot Tribe of Nar Adsch.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 131

Pale

First Post
I'd have them make to Dex Checks DC 15.

One for the Paladin who's throwing the gem and one for the character who's trying to catch it. If either of them fail I'd do some kind of random bounce (in four or eight directions, deending on your tastes) to see where it lands (if the paladin muffed up his throw) or where it bounces (if the catcher muffs up his check).

I'd even let the one catching still make his check if the Paladin messes up the throw, giving him a penalty to his die roll equal to how badly the paladin missed his Dex check (Check of 13 would equal a -2 to the catchers Dex check).

graydoom

First Post
To hit you, I'd say that he would have to make a ranged touch attack, except that all the modifiers that normally increase your AC derease your AC (since you are trying to get in the way of it). If he succeeds in "hitting" you with, I'd say you need to make an unarmed melee attack against AC 13 (-5 for inanimate, +4 for "running", +4 for size) in order to catch it.

If any of the rolls fail, I would consult one of the tables in the DMG that determine random variance on ranged attacks that miss, and see where it went. There would be a very large chance that it would simply overshoot the target (heck, this might be the best choice in the first place -- just throw it a long way ahead of you, no risk of it falling into the gorge, and you can pick it up), and even if it fell into the gorge I would give another chance to grab it, with an attack against the same AC.

If it fell into the gorge, you could just after it... but you'd have to end up catching yourself on the wall or something.

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
I'd make it a ranged attack for the Paladin (throwing things and hitting a target is exactly what BAB is for) and a Dex check for the Rogue. If they fail, then the scatter diagram on page 138 of the PHB can come into play.

Mallerick

First Post
It just wouldn't seem as epic if he overthrew it on purpose, but definitely smarter and less dangerous. :)

I appreciate everyone's help and quick responses. Having been on other boards before I kinda cringed because of fear of fire but everyone here always is very helpful and usually civil thanks again.

Attachments

• en5ider 258 snapshot.JPG
    en5ider 258 snapshot.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 17,816

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I think that is feasible. A similar situation occurred recently IMC, with a ring of swimming, and I ruled a Ranged Touch Attack followed by a reflex save. That probably should have been a dex check though, I don't think more experienced characters have more chance of simply catching stuff.

Rav

BlindKobold

First Post
Ranged touch attack to throw it AT you. If he misses, use do random bounce chart. If it's within 5' of the target person, he/she can still catch it DEX check of 10 and a REF save of 10. If the thrower "hits" the peson, he/she just needs a DEX check of 10. If he/she misses the DEX check, roll random bounce.

Remove ads