Throwing characters

Dalamar

Adventurer
If they're not Open Content, I can't really propose them. One of the things required of a proposal is that it be Open Content, either original or designated as such by the original source.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dalamar said:
If they're not Open Content, I can't really propose them. One of the things required of a proposal is that it be Open Content, either original or designated as such by the original source.
You can propose your own versions of them, though.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Reformatted for a clearer presentation of the mechanics. Broke it down to steps á la disarm and initiating a grapple.

Manzanita

First Post
given that this situation does come up from time to time (though rarely), it would be nice to have some guidelines other than Dming it by the seat of your pants. These seen basically reasonable. I don't think hitting an opponent with a thrown person should be automatic at 5 feet. I believe this proposal says that. Perhaps the hitting at a distance part could be exchanged for a more standard range, and associated range penalty.

Dalamar

Adventurer
First of all, sorry for not noticing your post earlier.

Well, the hitting things I made follow the standard rules for splash weapons. So a thrown character has a range increment of 10ft and absolute max range of 50ft (+/- 25ft from deviation on a miss) without the Far Shot feat.
But indeed, allowing the automatic hit against another opponent 5ft away was not my intention, need to change that.

Another thing I've been thinking on has been to, instead of making a thrown character a splash weapon, make them normal ranged weapons with a range increment equal to the throwing character's reach.

Bront

The man with the probe
Dalamar said:
Another thing I've been thinking on has been to, instead of making a thrown character a splash weapon, make them normal ranged weapons with a range increment equal to the throwing character's reach.
I like that approach better. Means bigger characters can throw you further, which makes sense.

Edit1:
Actualy, here's a better idea. Range=5 +5 for ever size catagory smaller the opponent is. Also make a rule where you can only throw someone up to one size catagory larger than you.

You can then also make a feat that gives you +4 to throw an opponent and/or you are considered one size catagory larger for all throwing purposes. It could require expert thrower.

Edit2:
Also, I'd change your expert thrower feet so you can either throw as a standard action that provokes an AoA, or a full round action that does not. It should not be allowed as an attack action, even if it does provoke an AoA. Otherwise a High level monk can throw 3 people or more a round, which is just not right.

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
Throwing unwilling characters
To attempt throwing a character, you must already be grappling with them and they must be your size or smaller. There are three steps in the throw.
Means you already can't throw people bigger than you.

As to the size figuring to the distance you can throw a character, I thought that since being bigger already gives you an advantage in the grapple check, a character who is Small will be flung about 10ft (which might change to equal the character's reach, not sure about that yet) farther than one who is Medium and has the same stats.

And when it comes to the monk throwing mooks left and right, notice that she has to already be grappling with her target. So either she is limited to 2/3 throws on alternating rounds, or her enemies initiate grapples with her (or has some way to increase her number of attacks that I'm not recalling right now). And lets face it, if the monk can throw an opponent with her lowest iterative, then it isn't going to matter much if she throws two or three of them instead of one. Not to mention that making it a standard action means that it is impossible to grab and throw a character in the same round.

Xael

First Post
I like the general idea and the current presentation of the system. The Reach = Range Increment idea is also good.

Bront said:
You can then also make a feat that gives you +4 to throw an opponent and/or you are considered one size catagory larger for all throwing purposes. It could require expert thrower.

I also like this idea.

Remove ads