Throwing characters

Bront

The man with the probe
Dalamar said:
Did some adjustments according to feedback, and added another feat.

Comments welcome

I like how you did built for throwing with the far shot feat and the size.

I missed where it said you can't throw people larger than you. It makes sense, and the feat allows for you to get past that by learning to throw better.

Very nicely done.

As for the initiate grapple, that's why I said 3 throws. You can grapple, throw, grapple, throw, grapple, with fury of blows. Granted, that would be quite entertaining...

Dalamar

Adventurer
A 3rd-level fighter could theoretically pick all the feats (Imp Unarmed Strike and Imp Grapple at 1st, Expert Thrower at 2nd, and Built for Throwing at 3rd, one level earlier for a human fighter). Such a character would then have a regural Grapple bonus of +10, and +14 for throwing if their opponent was pinned the last round. So such a character stands a good chance of throwing an ogre 10ft, given a couple of rounds to get into position (grapple, pin, throw). He'd have dealt a total of 1d3+3 nonlethal and 1d6+3 lethal damage to the ogre, compared to the possible 2d6+4 times three (which stands a good chance to kill the ogre) he would've stood a good chance to deal with a great sword instead.
If there was a pit or cliff deep enough, however, the damage could be even higher.

Bront

The man with the probe
Dalamar said:
A 3rd-level fighter could theoretically pick all the feats (Imp Unarmed Strike and Imp Grapple at 1st, Expert Thrower at 2nd, and Built for Throwing at 3rd, one level earlier for a human fighter). Such a character would then have a regural Grapple bonus of +10, and +14 for throwing if their opponent was pinned the last round. So such a character stands a good chance of throwing an ogre 10ft, given a couple of rounds to get into position (grapple, pin, throw). He'd have dealt a total of 1d3+3 nonlethal and 1d6+3 lethal damage to the ogre, compared to the possible 2d6+4 times three (which stands a good chance to kill the ogre) he would've stood a good chance to deal with a great sword instead.
If there was a pit or cliff deep enough, however, the damage could be even higher.
Of course, meanwhile the ogre can't do much else to anyone else either. I like how it works. I think it's fairly balanced, and while not optimal, it's fun and flavorful.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Not to mention that the ogre (Grapple +12, +4 when throwing or +8 when throwing after a pin, range increment 10ft) stands a good chance to give that gnome illusionist friend (Grapple likely under +1) of the fighter a nice good thwirl even without any feats. Give said ogre two levels of fighter and pick feats approriately for one scary thrower.

Edit - I just had a delightful image of an ogre having chained a squad of goblins next to its lair to use them as weapons in case of pesky adventurers :D

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Dalamar said:
Edit - I just had a delightful image of an ogre having chained a squad of goblins next to its lair to use them as weapons in case of pesky adventurers :D
I saw someone post a feat Exotic Weapon: Goblin somewhere in the rules or RPG forum. Damage was done to the opponent and the goblin. The note that live goblins tend to scream and make a lot of noise when used was also quite entertaining

Nightchill

Explorer
The adventure on Monday I'm planning has a small (only 5') gap that they'll need to jump across. However, with small creatures taking a -6 (and said characters having no ranks in Jump and a negative strength) I was wondering about the Str 19 character throwing them across...

Nice rules :)

Though 1d6 damage is potentially lethal for level 1. Pitching one of your friends 5' (or even 10') doesn't feel like it should be able to kill anyone (unless you throw them head first into a wall). I'd make it automatically non-lethal for willing cannonballs or substantially reduce the DC.

Dalamar

Adventurer
You raise a valid point about it being quite lethal for willing characters. Hmm... Maybe remove the 1d6 damage from willing characters that are aimed at and land in unoccupied squares, so they'd only take damage based on the thrower's strength.

I do have a vague memory of somewhere being a rule about pulling your punch, basically just electing that you're taking a penalty to damage. So then you could just choose to take a penalty large enough to only deal the minimum of 1 point of damage.

Remove ads