• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Throwing player characters

BaldHero

First Post
i was running my game on friday last and needed to have my fire giant throw a player character as far as he could and try to hit another, more distant player character. Hey the giant was out of rocks, what would you do? i know i have seen these rules somewhere, but i cant remember where. Anyone able to tell me where to find the rules for grabbing and throwing something smaller that might try not to get thrown, and how far i can throw it? Is this a combat action? or a special ability from the MM? I upgraded to 3.5 but havent picked up the MM yet so i cant check that resource unitl i do. Thanks.
L.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
BaldHero said:
i was running my game on friday last and needed to have my fire giant throw a player character as far as he could and try to hit another, more distant player character. Hey the giant was out of rocks, what would you do? i know i have seen these rules somewhere, but i cant remember where. Anyone able to tell me where to find the rules for grabbing and throwing something smaller that might try not to get thrown, and how far i can throw it? Is this a combat action? or a special ability from the MM? I upgraded to 3.5 but havent picked up the MM yet so i cant check that resource unitl i do. Thanks.
L.
It's in a dragon magazine somewhere. A fairly recent (last 2-3 issues). I believe it also had some other swashbuckling maneuvers (pushing things, dropping things on people, and swinging on ropes to name a few).

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
It's in a dragon magazine somewhere. A fairly recent (last 2-3 issues). I believe it also had some other swashbuckling maneuvers (pushing things, dropping things on people, and swinging on ropes to name a few).

I know there is a feat or two in the savage species for monsters to take in order to throw other smaller creatures and do some serious damage. With out those feats I'd let the giant do it but would have it only cause relatively minor damage.

Otherwise, after a successful grapple and pin I'd allow a giant to throw the PC as an improvised ranged weapon (-4) and targeting the other PC and roll to hit their AC. Reflex for half damage, but I wouldn't have it do very much damage at all without those specific set of feats. The throw is more of a scare tactic for the giant, that and tossing the PCs a distance away (targeting a square instead) which can be useful. If the giant has levels then it would be a possibility to pick up those feats representing his practice and proficiency (not to mention all the unlucky practice goblins).

MarauderX

Explorer
How about this?

What it says about the feat Power Throw...

Power Throw
General, Fighter- REQ: Str 15+
If you are grappling an opponent, you may make a grapple check to pick him up and throw him. Obviously, you must have a high enough strength to lift your opponent's total weight above your head. You may then hurl your opponent up to 15 feet, inflicting 1d4 + your strength modifier in subdual damage and leaving him prone where he lands. You may throw your opponent at someone. Resolve this as a ranged touch attack. If you hit, your target takes 1d4 + your strength modifier in subdual damage. If he is the same size or smaller than the enemy you threw, he is knocked prone. Your thrown opponent takes 1d4 + your strength modifier in subdual damage whether you hit or not, and lies prone in a random spot adjacent to your target. Use the rules for scattering projectiles to determine where your thrown enemy lands. You may opt to carry your opponent over your head. You lose your Dexterity and shield bonuses to AC, but your opponent is largely helpless. He may make attacks at a -4 to hit and deals half damage with physical attacks. He may cast spells, but must make a concentration check (DC 25) to successfully use a spell. He may use special abilities and magic items, except weapons which suffer the penalties as noted above, as normal. War, pg 46.

Remove ads