• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling as a core race?

the Jester

Legend
olshanski said:
Its a good thing I have no input.

If I were designing 4th edition, I'd immediately get rid of all "half" races. Races would not be able to breed with each other. This would cut down on the rules (which is nice), and would perhaps make racial warfare or racial hatred more reasonable.

Sooo... you wouldn't have a problem invalidating all the previous characters, pc and npc alike, who were half-breeds? You don't think some players might, hmm, find this annoying? And you think something like this is necessary to justify racial hatred?

ThirdWizard

First Post
I'm guessing FR will be the default setting for D&D in 4e, where tieflings fit in more than Greyhawk, which is out (for default at least).

As a PSer, I'm mostly ambivalent. I'll be happy to have rules for them, but the MM would have been just as fine for me.

Doug McCrae

Legend
D&D must change over time. Not just the rules, but the setting concepts. We can't stay trapped forever in the early-to-mid C20 time warp of REHoward, Lieber, Vance and Tolkien. New ideas are constantly entering fantasy and D&D should be stealing the best of them, just as Gary did at the start.

I'd love to see the best new races added to core. Warforged should be the first choice, but tieflings (though not as strong an idea, and not particularly popular as far as I can see) are at least a sign we're moving in the right direction.

Mallus

Legend
Canis said:
They also would flat-out interfere with setting assumptions of my nascent homebrew. This makes the PC tiefling persona non grata for me.
Every race except for human (and later Warforged) interfered with the setting assumptions of my long-running homebrew, which is featured in the link in my sig. You learn to make do. Steal the mechanics of existing races and insert your own flavortext.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Rule One: No TIEFLINGS!
Rule Two: No member of the party is to maltreat the Kobolds in any way at all -- if there's anybody watching...
Rule Three: No TIEFLINGS!
Rule Four: Anybody caught not looting will 'ave a bottle of Alchemist's Fire lobbed at 'is 'ead..
Rule Five: No TIEFLINGS!
Rule Six: There is no Rule Six.
Rule Seven: No TIEFLINGS!

Mallus

Legend
cignus_pfaccari said:
Who run a sideline in the financial services industry.
I'm suddenly picturing a Gnomish mafia running a chain of check-cashing franchises. Wait, I'm channeling Eberron, aren't I?

Anti-Sean

First Post
Mallus said:
I'm suddenly picturing a Gnomish mafia running a chain of check-cashing franchises. Wait, I'm channeling Eberron, aren't I?
Sort of, except the dwarves run the check cashing and the halflings run the mob. (The gnomes are "observing" everything from the shadows, though.)

RiggsWolfe

First Post
I for one have no problems with Tieflings as a core race. I have a player that makes one about every 3rd character so there you go. And honestly, if you don't like them, house rule them or just you know..say "No tieflings." Problem solved. It's basically exactly what I do alot of times with monks.

Remove ads