D&D 5E Tiefling Monk Start

Nori

First Post
Hello all,

I recently started playing D&D at my local area and have finally reached a level 4 fighter named Reinier Trevalyan.

It was about time I created a new character and decided to start fresh with a Tiefling Monk. I am completely clueless as to what kind of stats to do or what abilities to get because my local hobby shop can't seem to keep a copy of D&D Rulebook on the shelf and I don't trust ordering online (history has not been kind to be). So any advice for my Tiefling monk, Iados the Forgiver?

Current stats I have been playing with is.

STR: 9
DEX: 15
CON: 14
INT: 12
WIS: 12
CHA: 10

And is a reserved fellow who enjoys the flute, and often plays it to relax.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Monk's sre heavily stat dependang and want dex, wis, and con. Probably 14 of each. Then the rest wherever.

And don't forget to buy a sling so you have some ranged options. Use your speed.

I would take the Feral alternate trait of Tiefling found in the SCAG. It gets +2 Dex instead of +2 Cha. Also, if your group isn't playing by AL standards, then taking the Winged alternate trait as well will replace your relatively useless casting with a flight speed of 30.

Nori

First Post
I would take the Feral alternate trait of Tiefling found in the SCAG. It gets +2 Dex instead of +2 Cha. Also, if your group isn't playing by AL standards, then taking the Winged alternate trait as well will replace your relatively useless casting with a flight speed of 30.

Is that with Tiefling Varient? Or something else, I am sorry. I am very new to D&D and only have a human fighter because of simplicity sake.

Is that with Tiefling Varient? Or something else, I am sorry. I am very new to D&D and only have a human fighter because of simplicity sake.

Both alternate traits are found in the SCAG. You can stack the Feral and Winged alternate traits, as they replace different parts of the base Tiefling. It's actually ideal to stack both, as taking Feral nerfs the Cha-based casting granted by Infernal Legacy.

For the flute part, the Outlander and Entertainer backgrounds both come with a musical instrument proficiency.

Nori

First Post
I actually am using an app on my phone, and I chose Folk Hero which apparently comes with proficiency in an artisan tool and a musical instrument or another artisan tool.

I actually am using an app on my phone, and I chose Folk Hero which apparently comes with proficiency in an artisan tool and a musical instrument or another artisan tool.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your app is wrong. Folk Hero comes with one artisan tool and land vehicles proficiency.

Now for the good news, the PHB has optional rules for customizing backgrounds. See if your DM will allow the proficiency switch for your flute. If this is for AL play, then customized backgrounds are allowed by default; but no Winged Tieflings allowed.

Nori

First Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your app is wrong. Folk Hero comes with one artisan tool and land vehicles proficiency.

Now for the good news, the PHB has optional rules for customizing backgrounds. See if your DM will allow the proficiency switch for your flute. If this is for AL play, then customized backgrounds are allowed by default; but no Winged Tieflings allowed.
I'll right, so I might stick with an Outlander Monk. I'll stick with just a Tiefling, I have no option for a feral or a winged Tiefling.

Here are the stats that I would use for your monk, racial stats included and assuming Feral:

Str 8
Dex 16 (14+2)
Con 15
Int 9 (8+1)
Wis 15
Cha 8

Monks are good at one main thing: martial arts. You're not going to be party sleuth or face, so no need to have high stats related to those skills.

Spend your first ASI on +1 Con/Wis to bump up your HP/AC, then spend the rest on maxing out Dex and Wis, in that order.

Remove ads