• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tieflings

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
In one of the general pro/con 4E threads someone came up with a short bit of fiction about a town called Tief, which was attacked and destroyed by a demonic incursion. The scattered refugees were cursed with a demonic appearance, and began to be called "Tieflings" by the rest of the kingdom.

I never liked the word "Tiefling", but that little bit of rationalization made the name acceptable to me. It kind of fits the default fiction of 4E as well; just replace the name of the ancient Tiefling empire with "Tief".

Hm. Since I prefer the word "Cambion", I think I'll just do a find/replace with that instead. :)

Aage

First Post
Walking Dad said:
björn is swedish and means "bear".

I hope it helps ;)

Since it is also a swedish name, you could write it as the dragon, björn... Silly name for a dragon, though :p

Also, on topic, I like the new tiefling... I might even consider playing one when I want to play something that is not a dwarf...

lutecius

Explorer
Flynn said:
For that Old School feel, use "Cambion" instead.

Personally, I suggest "Hellspawn" as a good alternate.

With Regards,
Flynn

Both are better than "tiefling"
I also like "nephilim", the children of rebel angels.

I just don't like 2e made up names. They could make sense as words from whatever setting-specific language but not next to real words like dwarf or elf.
My eladrin will be "Ljósálfar", "light/high elves" or "fair folk". I even find "dark elves" much cooler than "drow"

Can we just start ranting about how bad tieflings look already? I’ll begin (stop me if this is off topic :) )
With their uniformly huge horns, tails and serrate chins, they look more draconic than fiendish. I hate the hair too.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I always rename my races for my campaigns, so it doesn't really bother me that much, since Tiefling is simply just in the context of my games a placeholder for whatever name I shall give them.

Same goes with their physical appearance, it is again a placeholder till I decide what physical features they have.

For example for my first 4E campaign they are:

Tieflings (Nefas): The Nefas began to come into being when the Flux touched the World. These abominations come in many different forms, some subtle others grotesque and disgusting. Many do not live past childhood.

Some common traits for Nefas are:
-All black or white eyes
-Albino, black or grey skin
-Webbing
-Tentacles
-Extra limbs
-Extra eyes
-Tail(s)
-Reptilian/snake like appearance

Stogoe

First Post
"Cambion" doesn't do it for me. It sounds silly, and boring. I dunno why, but I'm not going to use it. Probably just stick with Tiefling.

And I dig the horns and tail. Fie on anatomical correctness.

Valdrax

First Post
PeelSeel2 said:
They are the moneychangers and bankers of my realm now. They have carved that niche out since they do not have a homeland, they have to be accepted because of the service they perform, but they survive with a prejudice against them. It allows them to have a good excuse to be in any village with grudging acceptance.
So, essentially, you're saying that people are likely to go around singing songs telling people that they must "grab them by their horns" and throw them down the well before they can take all your money?

[Borat]Nice....[/Borat]

hong

WotC's bitch
am181d said:
The name I settled on is "Sintouched." It seems to strike the right balance of "cool" and "kind of naughty."
What, tiefling isn't naughty enough for you? Clearly you've never tiefled with the right people.

Actually, the name is fine. But god almighty, the tail. Die, stupid tail. Die. Die. Die.

Spatula

Explorer
fafhrd said:
Pronunciation makes all the difference for me. Teef-ling makes me think of some house gnome that bogarts your nose hair trimmer in the middle of the night. Tie-fling sounds more sinister, and that's how I'll say it, right or not.
Why not throw in an extra 'r' and call them "triflings." :)

PeelSeel2 said:
I hate trufflelings with a passion, but I am going to have to find a place for them in my campaign because I know some of my players are going to want to be one. So I came up with a background story for them that fits my campaign.

They are the moneychangers and bankers of my realm now. They have carved that niche out since they do not have a homeland, they have to be accepted because of the service they perform, but they survive with a prejudice against them. It allows them to have a good excuse to be in any village with grudging acceptance.
Errr.... wow. Was that a joke?

Remove ads