• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Tips for Handling Campaign Finale

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
The group I’m running is coming to kind of a natural ending point for our 2+ year campaign. It’s the first time any of us have played consistently in probably a decade or more. I’ve run this group of four PCs through Dragon Heist, Tomb of Annihilation, and now some home brewed stuff including a modified Cassalanters plot from Dragon Heist. We play over Google Meet just about weekly.

I want to make the finale as rewarding for the PCs as possible; not just the action/role-playing plot aspect of the campaign but the send off for the characters.

So for any DMs out there, how have you handled the logistics and/or narrative of the denouement of a long running campaign?

For players, anything cool that your DMs have done to wrap a campaign? Something that made the ending a little more rewarding or fulfilling?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Typically the denouement for my campaigns consists of discussing loose ends and how they resolve in time (or are never resolved), then having each player share what they think their character goes on to do in the future in a sort of montage-like scene. Like at the end of movies where the picture freezes on the character and a subtitle comes up.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
If you've got the time and know-how, find graphics & art from your adventures (easier since many are published) and work up a "movie montage" of their greatest hits. My default windows movie editor with text captions plus cheesy music of my choice = tribute. If your platform isn't movie friendly, use a dropbox link or a private youtube video, etc.

If you've got even more time, run with what @iserith said and have players privately send you a paragraph or two, just like the end of Dragon Age and other video games, so you can mix these in.

Remove ads