D&D General Tips for Using Paper Character Sheets

Reynard

Legend
Have you ever put these online?
No. They are pretty specific and most of my convention games are one off 3 or 4 session mini-campaigns.

One of my players is very helpful in this regard and for at least one convention he does most of my pregens. Here is a link to an example Starfinder packet (including custom art he commissioned, because he is just that kind of awesome):

Quickleaf

Legend
First, apply the pointed end of your graphite writing stick to the paper. This works best if it is on a firm surface, such as a table. You will find that by careful manoeuvring you can create fairly accurate reproductions of keyboard characters. You can create a space character by lifting your writing stick from the surface and moving it a short distance.
:ROFLMAO: I died. Thanks, Paul. Can you please teach my nephew the arcane art of graphite writing stick?

Oofta

Legend
We use DDB when I play, and the DM wants us to track HP online but I still do a 1 page printout. Basically I export the DDB character sheet to a PDF and then replace the sections that has Proficiencies & Languages along with Actions with abbreviated details. It handles the vast majority of what I need on one page, I use a second for spells tracking if I'm running a caster

Before that I simply put my sheets in document protector like @MockingBird.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I give my players the clear 3-ring binder sheet protectors and dry erase markers to use (and I use them myself when I play.) They can track HP, spell slot use, write down bonuses in their combat sections when they gain them, and so forth.

I also have a supply of 3-ring binder business card protector sheets that I hand out to players and I print all magic items handed out to the players onto business cards. That way they can have all the rules written out for the items on the cards themselves for players to easily follow, and the cards can then be traded to each other when items get passed around the group, or handed back in to me if they are disposable items like potions or scrolls.

Voadam

Legend
Write page numbers next to spells, powers, class features, and anything else you might want to look up at the table.
That is an excellent idea, thanks!

In my current game as a player I constantly am pulling out Tasha's and hunting for the specifics of my vow of glory paladin special powers. Around page 70 or so? And then hunt from there.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I usually write a list of the players and their character names so I have the character names on hand to stay in character more easily.

I find that for some PCs it is real easy to forget their character names.

We make "tents" out of 3x5 cards with the PC name on them. When I was running public games I made tents out of laminated pieces of paper so they could add more info including PC and real name along with AC and saving throws. I just had them put an asterisk on the latter two if they had things that could potentially change it, like casting Shield.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I have mini dry erase whiteboards for the players to keep track of their HP and THP, as well as any temporary conditions. Also, since I play with 2 12yo and an 11yo, I fill out the paper character sheets since I can write smaller.

MarkB

Legend
First, apply the pointed end of your graphite writing stick to the paper. This works best if it is on a firm surface, such as a table. You will find that by careful manoeuvring you can create fairly accurate reproductions of keyboard characters. You can create a space character by lifting your writing stick from the surface and moving it a short distance.
Good tip on the graphite. I initially tried an ink-based device, but found that the "undo" function was disabled.

Remove ads