• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To go or not to go....

bento

Explorer
I've talked with a number of parents of teens and young adults who have this problem - smart kids with no initiative for school.

Beyond yanking GenCon as punishment, I think you need to directly address his attitude now before it turns into three or four years (of much longer) struggle.

Talk to his councilor at school, find outside interests to challenge him or start introducing him to very smart people you work with. Just get him to understand that to be successful in life you need a passion and determination to work hard for the things you want. When your 12 years old these lessons can get lost with two or three hours of homework, but nevertheless they are critical for the years ahead.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Well, we do things together, for sure. He games with my group, and when his friends can get together I run them on games. I'm not a video gamer at all, but we share a lot of the same movie and television interests, and we do chores together, as well.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
bento said:
Talk to his councilor at school, find outside interests to challenge him or start introducing him to very smart people you work with.

He's met a lot of my coworkers, as well as having grown up around a lot of very intelligent and imaginative "uncles and aunts", so there's no lack of intelligent input there. And I've had the "if you don't straighten up now this will affect you for the rest of your life" talk with him so often my head hurts just thinking about it.

player 2

First Post
Your son is in middle school right? This is one of the hardest times for kids. When I was teaching before my kids were born, I taught 7th grade and this is very common. You are not alone with the stuggles you are having. I don't know your son or the situation, but somethings that it could be - hormones, being unorganized (I saw this the most with my accelerated kids!), trying to fit in with a certain group of kids, just to name a few. I believe that you did the right thing by taking away his pass (I know that it was hard to do, but it shows that you are serious and how much you love and care for him!) I hope that you decide to go to GenCon, it will be good for you and it will reinforce the lesson that you are teaching him. Let me know if you need to vent again (as I am sure you will, middle school is harder as a parent!)

God bless, you done good dad!

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
player 2 said:
Your son is in middle school right? This is one of the hardest times for kids. When I was teaching before my kids were born, I taught 7th grade and this is very common. You are not alone with the stuggles you are having. I don't know your son or the situation, but somethings that it could be - hormones, being unorganized (I saw this the most with my accelerated kids!), trying to fit in with a certain group of kids, just to name a few. I believe that you did the right thing by taking away his pass (I know that it was hard to do, but it shows that you are serious and how much you love and care for him!) I hope that you decide to go to GenCon, it will be good for you and it will reinforce the lesson that you are teaching him. Let me know if you need to vent again (as I am sure you will, middle school is harder as a parent!)

God bless, you done good dad!

It's like you DO know my son..... LOL...he's all those.

...and thanks!

player 2

First Post
Glad to be of help! It's good to know that middle school kids haven't changed in the five years that I have been home raising my own! Heck, they haven't changed since I was in middle school!

I'll see you at GenCon! :D

dagger

Adventurer
There is another problem with really smart kids who have no drive. They know they need to work harder to get by in life (or at least put in some effort), a lot of them just don't care.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
DungeonmasterCal said:
I'm torn as to whether or not I should cancel my own pass now.

Dude, come to GenCon! We will welcome you with open arms and ply you with liquor. You'll have a great time and game your fool heart out.

Then when you get home and can't stop talking for weeks about all the fun you've had, your son might be motivated to actually work next school year. But even if nothing changes on that front, you'll still have had a good time with us! :)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Buttercup said:
Dude, come to GenCon! We will welcome you with open arms and ply you with liquor. You'll have a great time and game your fool heart out.

Then when you get home and can't stop talking for weeks about all the fun you've had, your son might be motivated to actually work next school year. But even if nothing changes on that front, you'll still have had a good time with us! :)

Ok... one more offer of free hooch and I'm there... LOL

The first time I went to GenCon it was because my group took me for my 40th bday...all expenses paid. The drawback was I was at their mercy for transportation and lodging, so when one of the group wanted to leave, we all had to leave. I didn't get to meet any ENWorlders or game with anyone except for a couple of purchased games (though NASCRAG was a blast)! I did nearly run over Teflon Billy as I was leaving the dealer room, but the press of bodies on both sides kept me from saying "hi".

So this year I want to spend some quality dice time with my fellow ENWorlders!

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
DungeonmasterCal said:
So this year I want to spend some quality dice time with my fellow ENWorlders!

Yes, you do. Until you have actually experienced GenCon as an EN Worlder, you'll just think the stories you hear from everyone are hyberbole. They aren't. As I said last year, other people go to a Con, but we go to a reunion. I'm tellin' ya, it's one of the best times you'll ever have. 4 days of good friends, good games and good times.

Now repeat after me. I *will* go to GenCon. I *will* go to GenCon. I *will* go to Gencon....

Remove ads