• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To RP Game Players/Gamemasters -- What is Fun? What is Unfun?

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
Hello,

Throughout the discussion between 3.5e and 4e fans there has been this issue of fun, unfun and wrongbadfun. According to the design philosophy of 4e the designers wanted to remove elements that were unfun as one of the design goals.

Allow me to ask what exactly is fun in the context of a PNP RPing game?

For me fun is:

1. A game that is simple enough to learn quickly, but nuanced enough to allow for a lot of choice and complexity where and when necessary.

2. A game that allows me to tell the stories I want to tell without the mechanics getting in the way. I don't want excessive dissonance between the game and the game world reality.

3. I want to feel as if I am, when playing, immersed in the game. When I am DM/GMing I want to easily immerse my players through an effective synergy between mechanics and narrative.

4. I want a toolbox. I want to run free as a DM/GM being able to pick and choose what I want to use and discard what I don't want. Because I either homebrew (nowadays) or buy published settings, I don't want a lot of implied setting that I have to surgically remove.

5. As a player I want my character to be heroic (if that's my mood) due to in-game circumstances, not because of my badass build.

6. A moderate amount of combat. Some sessions bring it on, in others I don't even need to roll dice.

7. As a player, I want to be interacting with individuals, not builds.

8. Players who make decisions for their character that would actually be relevant to their character and not only with an eye toward optimization. However, I don't believe that crippled characters are necessary for good RPing.

9. Rule 0 ;)

What is unfun for me:

1. Mechanics that get in the way of a good story.

2. Mechanics that cause myself and my players to scratch our heads or say "that's stupid." Its ok for me to do an extra step from time to time if it helps things make sense.

3. Gross violations of "reality" for the sake of ease of play. I want arrows to run out. I want heroes to get banged up. Conan I can deal with, John Woo/Jackie Chan films...no thanks. I can like a film and still not want my game to assume it as a reality.

4. The idea that everyone should be equally useful in all situations. Everyone will have a chance to shine at different times. Shine because of your character, not because the rules say you should. Be creative and as DM I will make you a star.

5. Balance at gunpoint (quoted from thedungeondelver). I know how to balance my own game thanks.

6. Too much magic.

7. Bland as beets blender settings where everything (races, classes, species, cultures, etc.) is tossed together without rhyme or reason.

8. Sacred Cows like alignment and the Great Wheel.

9. Erol Otis covers...I'm not a grognard.

10. Tony DiTerlizzi Art and Baxa art...any of it...anywhere!

11. The modern mantra of "All PCs are special little snowflakes who should only die at appropriate time."

12. People telling me I haven't been playing D&D right for over two decades because I find the above things "unfun."

13. People telling me I shouldn't think about fantasy too hard.

I'm sure there are other...share yours.

Wyrmshadows

Last edited:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

What's un-fun?

Balance at gunpoint. I decide what's an appropriate challenge for my players, not the rules. All characters leveling equally at exactly the same time based on some sort of weird play-time/number of encounters formula. Campaign settings that seem to be different from medieval/low fantasy "just because". Overthinking fantasy. Post AD&D art - I am a grognard. "Anyone can be an anything," as imposed by the rules. Any module that has more "story text" than gameplay text. Any module that has the words "The characters should/should not survive this encounter because..." or similar. Any module that has the words "The characters will be saved by this NPC..." or similar. Throwing out 30+ year old concepts "just because".

What's fun?

Challenging the players within the scope of the game. Fighting them as hard as I would fight in any wargame and seeing them succeed. That look on the players' faces after encounters when they've survived something they know might well have TPK'ed 'em and the dawning realization that they won by dint of luck and skill. Being told "Damn, Bill, tonight was a great game." Seeing the party make a colossal blunder I could see coming a mile off, and watching them try to recover from it. Running AD&D and cleaving to the rules and having eight players at the table every session. Doing something as the dungeon master and watching the party go on autopilot while I step away from the table. Setting up a mess of Dwarven Forge on the table and running a party through it, revealing each little bit as they go along.

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
What's un-fun?

Balance at gunpoint. I decide what's an appropriate challenge for my players, not the rules. All characters leveling equally at exactly the same time based on some sort of weird play-time/number of encounters formula...Any module that has the words "The characters should/should not survive this encounter because..." or similar. Any module that has the words "The characters will be saved by this NPC..." or similar.

This.

What's fun?
Challenging the players within the scope of the game. Fighting them as hard as I would fight in any wargame and seeing them succeed. That look on the players' faces after encounters when they've survived something they know might well have TPK'ed 'em and the dawning realization that they won by dint of luck and skill. Being told "Damn, Bill, tonight was a great game." Seeing the party make a colossal blunder I could see coming a mile off, and watching them try to recover from it...Doing something as the dungeon master and watching the party go on autopilot while I step away from the table.

And This

Wyrmshadows

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
Ok pal you had a nice list going then you had to dis the art of one of the most distinctive fantasy artists in the business. Bring on the great drow artist Ool Eurts!! :)

LOL If he's better than Erol bring him on. ;)

Honestly, I just don't get it.

I liked it when I was a kid for the strangeness of it. Now, I just find his work strange but not in a good way.

Of the Old School Crew, I don't like Jeff Easley and my enjoyment of Caldwell is based entirely on the piece in question. Elmore is excellent, though I am not a fan of his dragons. Keith Parkinson is excellent. The Ride of Soth and Are We Lost? are great paintings.

Of the New School Crew....I know it is heresy but I do not like Wayne Reynolds...I just don't. I can take small doses of his work, but my eyes start to glaze over after seeing it more than a little.

Wyrmshadows

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
This one's tricky, actually. . . :hmm: mainly because it (fun, that is) has so much less to do with system - or even setting - than with the people involved.

That said, I would tend to find certain things unfun, yes: poorly thought out or run worlds / campaigns / sessions / scenes; systems and settings that don't seem to match very well; systems or settings that break suspension of disbelief in a major way; characters that don't seem to belong in the setting. . . well, you get the idea.

Oh, and any really immature or otherwise offensive or unreasonable behaviour from those gaming. Which should perhaps be a given, but still.

FalcWP

Explorer
Fun:

-Relative balance at all levels of play for characters. Our 3.5 games tended to be low-level affairs (don't know that I ever played above level 10, personally, and we rarely got above level 5 or 6), and I rarely played wizards because of it.

-Heroic PCs. More of a setting issue than a system, but I hate it when there's tons of folks on the side of good that are more powerful than me. I want to be the hero!

-Combat. I like beating things up and taking their stuff. Particularly if the system allows for something beyond, "I stand here and hit the orc in the face." Bring on the swashbuckling.

-Non-Combat. I also like being creative, using skills and spells outside of combat (or even, *gasp* to avoid combat). Something I loved 3.5 for, and something I want to add to 4E.

Not-Fun:

-Rules that bring the game grinding to a halt. Grapple, I'm looking at you.

-Super-powered combos that are difficult to counter without metagaming. Trip-monkeys, I'm now looking at you.

-Feeling worthless in a fight. Whether its a rogue against undead, a 3.5 wizard switching to his crossbow 'cause he's out of spells, or a greatsword-focused fighter watching his enemies fly above him, I don't like it when this happens *often*. (Once or twice, yes. That's fine.)

-Fights that are too easy. Often a result of the super-powered combos (see above). Fights that are a bit too hard can be fun. Too easy is boring.

-Save or Die, Save or Suck effects. Most unsatisfying encounter I ever ran: used a mummy against my players. Fear + Mummy Rot did not seem like a ton of fun.

-Rules that get in the way of the story.

LostSoul

Adventurer
1. Having my PC put in situations where I can make an important moral choice, especially when the issue at hand is something that I'm passionate about in the real world.

2. Being able to clearly see what's going on in the game world in my imagination. Without this, #1 is lame, but without #1, what's the point?

3. Being able to make interesting tactical choices. I like this on its own, but combined with 1 & 2 it's awesome.

4. Making jokes and table-talk with the other players. All of it is more fun when you're doing it with friends.

Honestly, I just don't get it.

I liked it when I was a kid for the strangeness of it. Now, I just find his work strange but not in a good way.

Of the Old School Crew, I don't like Jeff Easley and my enjoyment of Caldwell is based entirely on the piece in question. Elmore is excellent, though I am not a fan of his dragons. Keith Parkinson is excellent. The Ride of Soth and Are We Lost? are great paintings.

Of the New School Crew....I know it is heresy but I do not like Wayne Reynolds...I just don't. I can take small doses of his work, but my eyes start to glaze over after seeing it more than a little.

Wyrmshadows

Don't worry about it.;) I love the old school art so much. I liked Jeff Easley more before his " I have to use up all this ochre" phase personally.

Remove ads