• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ToB query: HD and Initiator level

Theroc

First Post
Do race-based Hit dice count towards the initiator like class levels? Yanno, 1 IL for every 2 HD? I didn't see it spelled out in the book, so I thought I'd ask.

Runestar

First Post
No official answer as far as I know. The book states character lv, which is technically racial HD + class lvs. That's how I ran it in my games as well.

Do note that this can allow certain monsters to access maneuvers faster than their cr might otherwise indicate. For example, an elder elemental warblade5 can get a 9th lv maneuver at cr16. Not sure if it is all that game-breaking, but something to bear in mind.

Theroc

First Post
No official answer as far as I know. The book states character lv, which is technically racial HD + class lvs. That's how I ran it in my games as well.

Do note that this can allow certain monsters to access maneuvers faster than their cr might otherwise indicate. For example, an elder elemental warblade5 can get a 9th lv maneuver at cr16. Not sure if it is all that game-breaking, but something to bear in mind.

Ah. I was asking as I've been toying with the idea of a Werewolf Warblade following the 'tiger claw' discipline. ECL 12 game, so I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be shooting myself in the foot manueverwise. If I was losing the HD AND the LA that'd really hurt, lol.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Just check with your DM. If he doesn't count racial HD, don't be a werewolf, that's incredibly crippling. Make a Druid (or use the PH2 variant so you don't even have to stay in long) for the shapeshifting and then go warblade.

I allow it. It makes sense, and usually racial HD never can come close to comparing with class levels anyway. And I mean that even in the sense of, "Hmm...I got a bunch of natural armor and bonus ability scores...I'd still rather have had class levels..."

Theroc

First Post
Wildshape can't give me hybrid form, can it? That's what I'd be using 90% of the time, so if it isn't that, Idun't want it. :p

Also: I wouldn't want a limited use of it, either... since half my stuff would rely on having claws or sucking royally. :p I'll have to check with my DM.

Remove ads