• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Bring over endure elements spell from previous editions so armor worn isn't an issue but only dehydration from the heat and humidity.

Protection from Energy does the same thing. In the DMG under Extreme Heat it also says, "Creatures with resistance or immunity to fire damage automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do creatures naturally adapted to hot climates." So you could apply that, even though it's technically not in the slightly altered and combined version of the Extreme Heat from the DMG and Food & Water requirements from the PHB that are in the adventure itself.

CapnZapp

Legend
Protection from Energy does the same thing. In the DMG under Extreme Heat it also says, "Creatures with resistance or immunity to fire damage automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do creatures naturally adapted to hot climates." So you could apply that, even though it's technically not in the slightly altered and combined version of the Extreme Heat from the DMG and Food & Water requirements from the PHB that are in the adventure itself.
Yeah, no, protection from fire is far too powerful. Simplifying away Endure Elements is another case where I prefer a less simple game.

More on this in my other thread, where I discuss the environment challenges of Chult from the perspective of veteran players in a magical Realms:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=580099

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I’m reading through and I’m not impressed by the large number of DC 10 checks. What is the point of that?

Latest example: Jahaka Anchorage. This secret spot is “protected” by some rocks that require a DC 10 INT check to navigate. And there’s even a buffer if they fail that! And the rocks are submerged so how are they detected in order to be safely navigated?

I don’t understand why they put in a bunch of words and basically let the players auto succeed?

A better option IMHO: a DC 15 perception check to notice worrying patterns in the water warning of submerged rocks. Miss that and a terrible grinding sound is heard alerting the crew to the danger - now the job becomes difficult as the ship will have to be carefully maneuvered out of the rocks - DC 20 (with a buffer as before). If they spot the danger they can (at the expense of some time) choose an easier route through DC 15 (with buffer).

That seems much more engaging?

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Latest example: Jahaka Anchorage. This secret spot is “protected” by some rocks that require a DC 10 INT check to navigate. And there’s even a buffer if they fail that! And the rocks are submerged so how are they detected in order to be safely navigated?

Firstly, it's a base Intelligence check. Few characters have reason to have a high Int score. So for a lot of groups, that's going to be a flat 50% chance of success on the roll. A 50% chance to damage your vessel isn't insignificant. And who's going to fix that damage? The characters sail into the port and then have to deal with pirates who, depending on the PC's level, could easily overwhelm the party. Even a mid-high level party might struggle against so many opponents. But even if they beat the pirates, is anyone proficient to fix the vessel? Do all of the pirates die or do some escape? Do they know how to repair it?

And then you have to go through the rocks again to get out, risking damaging your vessel again. Three strikes and you sink.

As for knowing they're there or not, it doesn't say which is a bit annoying. However, if you know anything about sailing then you'll know that any seasoned sailor, i.e. someone with vehicles (water) proficiency or the sailor background, would be able to see the differences in currents and waves to know that there was low water and either a sandbar or rocks close to the surface. You could have them do a proficiency check in that case, probably Wisdom (Vehicles (Water)).

ddaley

Explorer
...As for knowing they're there or not, it doesn't say which is a bit annoying. However, if you know anything about sailing then you'll know that any seasoned sailor, i.e. someone with vehicles (water) proficiency or the sailor background, would be able to see the differences in currents and waves to know that there was low water and either a sandbar or rocks close to the surface. You could have them do a proficiency check in that case, probably Wisdom (Vehicles (Water)).

This is true. I spent many years sailing lakes and harbors as a kid/teenager. You learn to recognize boulders that are below the surface pretty quickly. I would imagine that captains would have lookouts for obstacles any time they were near enough to shore. I have not read this part of the adventure yet, so can't comment directly on it.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I forgot to add that players don't know the DC and even when you've got a +8 to a particular check, a roll of 1 would still be a failure. The chance of failure, and constantly asking for rolls, both engages the players, gives them a sense that they could fail, and breaks up description in play so that you're not just telling people what's there and they're actually engaging with the setting and environment, even if in only a minor way.

So in some sense, it's more psychological than anything else. Plus, every so often, they will fail a check. Sometimes the dice just don't like you.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I forgot to add that players don't know the DC and even when you've got a +8 to a particular check, a roll of 1 would still be a failure. The chance of failure, and constantly asking for rolls, both engages the players, gives them a sense that they could fail, and breaks up description in play so that you're not just telling people what's there and they're actually engaging with the setting and environment, even if in only a minor way.

So in some sense, it's more psychological than anything else. Plus, every so often, they will fail a check. Sometimes the dice just don't like you.

That’s fine,what I don’t get is the incongruity between the description (the pirates relying on the hidden rocks for protection) and the DC of the challenge. If most captains would find the rocks then the pirate captains are stupid to rely on it.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
That’s fine,what I don’t get is the incongruity between the description (the pirates relying on the hidden rocks for protection) and the DC of the challenge. If most captains would find the rocks then the pirate captains are stupid to rely on it.

Well, I don't know about you but from the time I've spent on the water, the number one rule is safety and caution. Only a fool would risk it. Even lawful authorities (of which there are none) or merchant princes seeking reparations, would be hard pressed to find a captain willing to take a 50/50 shot at sinking their vessel (remembering that they don't know it takes three hits to sink it, they just think there's a risk of it from whatever is causing the eddies below the surface).

Anyway, it's not like it's hard to change to a higher DC if you think it's warranted. Personally, I've seen PC's fail DC 5 climb checks and fall to their deaths. Not every check has to come with a high chance of failure.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Were does it say that Liches are affected. I must have missed that.

Also why would the Harper's Knowlege spread quickly. They tend to be fairly secretive. And there is confusion most people don't even know the Curse is a thing. Your Employer in the Adventure learned that apparently the source is in Chult which is why she sends you.

It’s on page 5. But I misread. Liches are deprived of their ability to capture souls in their phylacteries. I don’t think that means they can’t reform — which is what I thought I had read. So they are affected, but not nearly as badly as I said.

I still think the Harper’s knowledge would spread quickly. The affliction is wide spread, and known to priests. Why would the Harper’s knowledge on this matter be kept a secret?

Once it becomes known that souls are being destroyed (this doesn’t seem to have been learned yet) I would expect major religions to send large and powerful expeditions to Chult. Depriving souls their just reward in the afterlife is a very huge problem for religions.

Thx!
TomB

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Liches are deprived of their ability to capture souls in their phylacteries. I don’t think that means they can’t reform — which is what I thought I had read. So they are affected, but not nearly as badly as I said.
Yeah, so they'll eventually decay and become demiliches, basically.

Once it becomes known that souls are being destroyed (this doesn’t seem to have been learned yet) I would expect major religions to send large and powerful expeditions to Chult. Depriving souls their just reward in the afterlife is a very huge problem for religions.

On thinking on this, this is the one big gripe I have about the campaign. Having it world-wide at the very start definitely makes it less believable that it wouldn't be addressed by more proficient groups, especially since it states that Syndra used divinations to find out the location. The idea of having it spread and Syndra being the one person on the Sword Coast who died and was resurrected in Chult being currently affected is much better and also gives a sense of urgency beyond merely that Syndra will die.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads