• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
how this for realism. Humanoids from non jungle environments must roll a DC 15 Con check per day or become sunburn. Lose 2 hit pts. If failed by 5 gain a level of exhaustion and take 1d6 of damage. Races of the underdark, mountain dwarves, wood elvess and pc with artic backgrounds roll with disadvantage

Jungles are actually very well shaded, so not necessarily a bigger risk for sunburn (though some areas of Chult are quite exposed).

jasper

Rotten DM
Jungles are actually very well shaded, so not necessarily a bigger risk for sunburn (though some areas of Chult are quite exposed).
I been in well shaded forest and got 2nd degree sunburn. This white boy burns. And peta tired to drag me back into the Alabama gulf coast because they thought I was a beached baby white whale.

Mull Ponders

Explorer
I think this is a great book. It would be worth it even without the actual tomb and plot device of the Soulmonger. I consider it a bargain if you just use it as a sourcebook for Chult.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
how this for realism. Humanoids from non jungle environments must roll a DC 15 Con check per day or become sunburn. Lose 2 hit pts. If failed by 5 gain a level of exhaustion and take 1d6 of damage. Races of the underdark, mountain dwarves, wood elvess and pc with artic backgrounds roll with disadvantage

Out of curiosity, why wood elves instead of high elves?

Runny

First Post
Does anyone know where you get Scorpion Armor? I can’t find it in the book, but it’s in an annex in the back of the book.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Does anyone know where you get Scorpion Armor? I can’t find it in the book, but it’s in an annex in the back of the book.
One of the prisoners of the mirror (Lukanu, Bodyguard to Queen Napaka of Omu) is wearing a set. She is mentioned on page 163. I don't think that armor is mentioned anywhere else in ToH except there and in appendix C.

CapnZapp

Legend
Observation #8: I don't see any way that the trial of the octagon (room #76) is not a TPK for my group. There is no way they figure out the correct sequence to not trigger the trap (and I don't see how they can survive the trap). Did I miss something? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this room?
Not exactly a timely reply ;), but now I'm at the stage that I'm prepping the final two levels of the Tomb.

The correct sequence to not trigger the trap is spelled out right there, on page 1 of the nursery rhyme.

Nebulous

Legend
This!

It is almost as if they are attempting to coop all the quality GH material in the hopes that GH fans will somehow fall in love with FR. GH has a certain feel and FR has a different feel, they do both a disservice by mashing them together.

I guess I can't really agree with this. I like GH fine, and I like FR fine, but within the limited scope of Princes and Tomb, you're in the hills and temples in the former, and the jungle and dungeon in the latter. Within the context of whatever "fantasy world" it takes place, it doesn't matter because it doesn't have much impact on the story.

The only difference I would see is the deities a PC might worship, but that is still going to fall under the generic domains of Life, Death, War, Love, etc.

Now, if one were running a full fledged open campaign or homebrew, then the feel of the game world would have a much stronger impact.

Then again, I've never understood the Greyhawk/Realms love/hate thing. I like the Realms fine, but it's just a generic fantasy world for me with locations and some history that we have a consistent group memory with. If Greyhawk had been there more than the FR then I would have memories of that one, but either way, I don't care, so long as they have a fleshed out world to play in.

dave2008

Legend
Not exactly a timely reply ;), but now I'm at the stage that I'm prepping the final two levels of the Tomb.

The correct sequence to not trigger the trap is spelled out right there, on page 1 of the nursery rhyme.

I haven't looked at the book in a long time and I don't remember anything about a nursery rhyme, so I probably just skimmed it. We don't run published adventures, but I do mine them or ideas and I love the monster stats :)

Remove ads

Remove ads