Tomb of Horrors RPGA DM Reward

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Came home and it was sitting in my mailbox. I am not quite sure what to do with the really slick poster map that is at 1/4 in scale and has all the secret doors, traps, and whatnot revealed, but I'll stew on that for a bit.
Forgive me, but was that 1 square = 20 feet scale?

Xeterog

Explorer
Forgive me, but was that 1 square = 20 feet scale?

more like 1 Five foot square = 1/4 inch instead of 1"

So the whole map fits on the poster.

Looks very nice, but shows the traps and secret doors and such..tho not the encounter numbers.. :)

I must say, this one looks just as deadly as the original. Very nasty traps and monsters (the few that are in there--as it is mostly traps and hazards).

If I didn't know at least 2 of my players probably got this as well, I'd almost want to delevel my 26th level party just to run thru it once :) (maybe a dream sequence or a go back in time thing...hmmm...)

Xeterog

Explorer
Hmm. nice!

Last year's DM rewards was the ship tiles. And the 'general' reward (for just updating contact info) was the village of homlet adventure (though I did not personally get direct use out of the adventure, it did offer an idea I later used, and of course I used the fold-out map for something else).

If this year's DM reward is an adventure, I wonder what the general reward will be!

speaking of the general (contact update) reward, the first batch is supposed to be mailed between april and june too, right? or am i misremembering?

Earlier this year, I got a box and some condition cards. (somehow, I missed the ship darn it).

Festivus

First Post
more like 1 Five foot square = 1/4 inch instead of 1"

This. Almost a useless map (but it looks cool). I could see using it as a zoom out of progress for the party, cover the whole thing with stickies and peel them off as they discover things.

Also, had a chance to read a little bit. Took me to get to page 5 before I found serious editing issues:

"Where it turns east, a stone plug in the ceiling can be detected only with a DC 23 Athletics check made to sound the stone of the passage." - What the heck does that mean exactly?

Page 6, referring to the slip of parchment scribed with magical runes (DC 17 to decipher).... but the don't explicitly tell you WHAT they decipher to (I can guess it's the flavor text above the stat block in the other column, but jeez)

That's as far as I got. Hate to say it but it looks like a pretty typical editing job from Wizards so far.

Zaran

Adventurer
So is it the whole module or just for 9th level? I thought it would be one of those that adventurers would keep going to throughout their paragon levels.

Kurtomatic

First Post
I can see why they didn't include a 1-inch scale map, since there are few combat encounters. I guess in this case, the 'poster map' really is a poster, hehe.

Get your condition markers out and prepare to roll many, many saves... [sblock]The only trap I've read in detail is the one replacing the sphere of annihilation. Instead of instant death, you get a 'sticky' trap that kills you over the course of a few rounds if you don't escape it. The final solo encounter includes a cascading effect that simply kills you outright after two failed saves.[/sblock]A lot death-spirals maintain the threat level while being far more forgiving than the original.

Kurtomatic

First Post
So is it the whole module or just for 9th level? I thought it would be one of those that adventurers would keep going to throughout their paragon levels.
The intro states that it will advance 9th level characters to 11th level. The idea is that you can use this adventure to cap your heroic tier endeavors and advance to paragon if you successfully beat the tomb. There are two major quest xp dumps in addition to the encounter xp.

Xeterog

Explorer
"Where it turns east, a stone plug in the ceiling can be detected only with a DC 23 Athletics check made to sound the stone of the passage." - What the heck does that mean exactly?

apparently, it is a way to get into the room above (tho the passage under the room is not well denoted). I assume it turns east at the Secret door symbol.

Festivus

First Post
apparently, it is a way to get into the room above (tho the passage under the room is not well denoted). I assume it turns east at the Secret door symbol.

Well, yes, but I could expect a Perception check to Spot something, but an athletics check to hear something?

Remove ads