• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of Horrors RPGA DM Reward

A

amerigoV

[sblock]The only trap I've read in detail is the one replacing the sphere of annihilation. Instead of instant death, you get a 'sticky' trap that kills you over the course of a few rounds if you don't escape it. [/sblock]

Sauce of Weakness. Back in my day, your PC died when you did something stupid. So, does the Demi Lich give out lollie pops at the end so no one's feelings are hurt?

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Another item missing: Page 3, first paragraph says "See the illustration on the inside front cover"... that illustration is missing entirely from the book!

snip

All the images are available here:

Tomb of Horrors Art Gallery
Thanks for posting the link. I think the link to the original map will be helpful to. I just got mine today and the very first trap (as in the PCs just walked in and hey, it's a TRAP!) mentions that it's marked "T" on the map. It's not.

Kurtomatic

First Post
Sauce of Weakness. Back in my day, your PC died when you did something stupid. So, does the Demi Lich give out lollie pops at the end so no one's feelings are hurt?
No, but he does make you get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before you go to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when you get back, he kills you, and dances about on your grave singing "Hallelujah."

denzoner

Explorer

Yeah, but you should be used to that now. Ever since 4e has been tooled to cater the bratty, video-game generation with this overwhelming and unhealthy sense of entitlement.

Mod Edit: Folks, being rude and insulting will take you far around here - right out of threads, for example. Please, don't do this. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Festivus

First Post
Before this gets locked for becoming a edition war (...thanks for threadcrapping folks...)

I think after reading a bit more of this adventure, it's plenty deadly and probably plenty enjoyable to play. There are some fun encounters (I like the sequence of hidden doors challenge), it's well laid out, and I am really looking forward to how this will tie with the book Ari worked on which coming out later this year.

denzoner

Explorer
Hehe, my inner D&D Grognard peeped his graying head. I DMed and pretty much TPK'd the last group I sent through the 3e remake of Tomb of Horrors, it looks like this is pretty much a 4e update but it's also abridged. I also know my current home group won't touch this adventure (much less anything by Mike Mearls or any other old-school styled dungeons.)

At the end of the module, the Authors Note states (in ALL CAPS) "...IF YOUR GROUP IS A HACK AND SLAY GATHERING, THEY WILL BE UNHAPPY". That pretty much sums up my current home group.

I'm happy I received it, it was a nice surprise to find in my mail.

Zaran

Adventurer
What's a HACK AND SLAY GATHERING?

I think it describes my group. It's basically a group that rather fight monsters than poke and prod their way through a dungeon of traps and decisions.

sfgray

Explorer
The "hack and slay gathering" quote (caps and all) in the afterward is taken directly from the original AD&D Tomb, and refers to (as Zaran notes) players who are more about the combat than the problem solving. Nothing wrong with that, of course; but that type of play wasn't what the Tomb was about.

In its original incarnation as a tournament scenario, the adventure was meant to test the craft of the players more so than the stats of their characters. There's still plenty of combat in both the original and the update, and plenty of places in the update where judicious use of skills will make a difference. However, the kick-in-the-door style of play won't take a party very far in the Tomb.

Remove ads