Tomb of Horrors RPGA DM Reward

Roger

First Post
I imagine "to sound the stone" means to bang on it and hear that it's hollow; using "to sound" as a verb to refer to this sort of sounding is pretty strange, but D&D has often had a certain linguistic adventurousness.

Cheers,
Roger

fba827

Adventurer
"Where it turns east, a stone plug in the ceiling can be detected only with a DC 23 Athletics check made to sound the stone of the passage." - What the heck does that mean exactly?

I think that is a lesser known definition for sound... "to free from something" often in the context of freeing from difficulty. like a 'sound mind' (is a mind that is free from bad judgment). So in this case, it's basically saying to pull the stone plug out it takes an Athletics check.

But I could be wrong on that alternate definition of 'sound' in which case never mind. I suppose if I were not so lazy I could look it up on that computer Internet thing-a-ma-bob :) But, really, I'm too lazy right now.

Festivus

First Post
I imagine "to sound the stone" means to bang on it and hear that it's hollow; using "to sound" as a verb to refer to this sort of sounding is pretty strange, but D&D has often had a certain linguistic adventurousness.

Cheers,
Roger

Ok, so an athletics check to know enough to hit it and see if it's hollow beneath. I can see that, but how the players might stumble upon this is another matter. The description is about as clear as mud.

Scribble

First Post
Yeah- to sound means apparently: "to examine by percussion or auscultation: to sound a patient's chest."

So you have to make an athletics check to jump up and rap on the stone.

And by rap I mean: "to strike, esp. with a quick, smart, or light blow: He rapped the door with his cane."

And not: "To bust mad rhymes, esp to show up other fools: Eminem had mad rapping skilz."

Herschel

Adventurer
"Where it turns east, a stone plug in the ceiling can be detected only with a DC 23 Athletics check made to sound the stone of the passage." - What the heck does that mean exactly?

You have to knock hard enough and properly in order to be able to hear the hollow/unsupported stone plug vs. the stone of the wall. It actually makes sens for athletics over perception here because a light tap wouldn't produce the proper variance/movement.

You sound the drums.

Last edited:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
more like 1 Five foot square = 1/4 inch instead of 1"

So the whole map fits on the poster.

Looks very nice, but shows the traps and secret doors and such..tho not the encounter numbers.. :)

I must say, this one looks just as deadly as the original. Very nasty traps and monsters (the few that are in there--as it is mostly traps and hazards).

If I didn't know at least 2 of my players probably got this as well, I'd almost want to delevel my 26th level party just to run thru it once :) (maybe a dream sequence or a go back in time thing...hmmm...)
Thanks for the answer. I asked because the Hammerfast book has a double sided poster map where, on one side, it has the whole town in .25 in squares where .25 in = 20ft. The whole town fits on the map.

mneme

Explorer
"sound" is, in fact, an entirely correct usage there. It's what it's referred to.

That said, no way there shouldn't be a dungeoneering check there. I mean, remember dungeoneering? The skill you use to know stuff about caves and dungeons like "if I rap on the walls, I'll get an idea of what's on the other side?" The skill that's much maligned as not nearly being used in skill challenges and the like than other skills, particularly since it's hard to come up with reasons to make checks on it outside of dungeons?

That skill?

Festivus

First Post
Another item missing: Page 3, first paragraph says "See the illustration on the inside front cover"... that illustration is missing entirely from the book!

I think they meant to include this picture there:

ToHGraphic3.jpg

All the images are available here:

Tomb of Horrors Art Gallery

Remove ads