• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of the Lizard King - your experiences?

fusangite

First Post
Aside from the railroading at the beginning, this is one of the best, most solid 1E adventures. After I had all my old modules stolen by a former tenant of my mother's, it was the only one of my 1E modules I tracked down a new copy of.

Baron Opal

First Post
PaulGreystoke said:
In 3E, I used I2 as a follow-up to the N2: Cult of the Reptile God. In that module a fallen cleric of Merikka was able to pray for & cast high level spells while under the influence of a naga. I reasoned that some divine force must be actually granting the spells to this cleric & created the "Dark Serpent" Cult as this divine force's earthly representative. Thus the naga in N2 & the lizardfolk clerics in I2 were parts of this cult's world-spanning conspiracy.

This is almost exactly how I used N2 and I2. My players had a blast. One of the more memorable moments was when the Greenbond (cleric type) had a amulet that summoned a large earth elemental. She called it up, pointed to the lizardman village and said "kill them all." 2HD lizardfolk just didn't stand a chance. I put a little side-trek between the two adventures to help point out the vileness of the scaly conspiracy. As I run an Arcana Unearthed based campaign, the players of the giant and sibeccai characters were all over the "stomp the lizard" theme.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I own most of the old 1E adventures, and I did run this once a very very long time ago... at least 20 years past. I vaugely recall the storyline. This thread is making me want to pull it out again though!

Heckler

First Post
This one was great fun. I ran it waaaaaaaaay back in high school. We never finished it, but I do remember the party didn't care for fighting the dragon...twice.

And Sakatha? A spell-casting vampiric lizard king. :eek: What's not to love?

I'm thinking about starting up a campaign, and if somebody doesn't convert this sucker to 3.5 before I'm ready, I'll do it myself. :)

DethStruck

First Post
For anyone converting this module: do you keep the current levels and modify the creatures or do you use the same creatures and raise the levels?

Agamon

Adventurer
I have done a combo of both (in other pre-3E conversions, but not this one). After conversion, the mod will be much harder than a 3.x party can handle, so it needs to be raised. But not all encounters will balance right, so they probably will need to be modified somewhat.

DethStruck

First Post
That was my opinion... our party wasn't even up to the 1e levels and the DM used straight 3.5 stats.

I did the Lizard Kings stats as written: lizard man, vampire, 9th level wizard. He comes out with 93hp... :uhoh:

Crothian

First Post
Necro!

I didn't want to start a new thread when we have this perfectly good one gathering dust.

I'm about to start the Tomb of the Lizard King tonight for my Pathfinder group. We just went through Keep on the Borderlands and I do enjoy running the classic modules with the new editions. I've also got a version of the Wizard's Amulet going so there is a reason for a Wizard to be with them and to complicate things a bit more.

I really like that the module starts with the bad guy scrying the PCs. The Lizard King is a smart and proactive foe. Like many 1e modules it does have some odd things in that I will ignore but it also seems to have a lot of treasure. I was surprised to see a sword +4 defender and just a lot of magical items in general even before they get to the meat of the module.

Remove ads