Too many Kickstarters?!?!?!

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
I don't think there is anything wrong with the number of kickstarters, or e-publishers, or 3rd party publishers. You can't fix the internet, because it isn't broken. It is a busy place, and it isn't yours. It is all of ours (human, robot and furries). If people in busy cities can filter out the noise and clamor and dross, humans can filter what they engage in on the internet. As to the OP, rolling mouse-wheels or swiping touch-pads are the cures you seek, not some mythical panacea that only applies to you. I'm not going to ask that "zomg waaaah get off my lawn" threads be filtered for the same reason. I can scroll right along to something I like, Kickstarter'ed or not.

Evenglare

Adventurer
You are exactly right. People CAN filter out stuff they see on the internet. Things like ads get filtered with nifty adblockers which I LOVE. I wish someone would do that with kick starter. Make a Separate board for kick starters, it's obviously big enough of a thing to warrant such a board. Let people post stuff there, so they don't clutter up the current boards. Or at least let us choose to filter what posts we see here so I can filter out kick starter nonsense. For instance, we have the ability to click on a tag and see all posts of that kind, why can't we go into setting and select what we want to see or not what to see? Certainly it would be easy to implement considering the sorting function that the site already has. And this obviously would be a feature that many people would use considering the complainers about complainers complaining about kickstarter.

Evenglare

Adventurer
No, it's not easy to implement. It would be a major coding endeavour.

It's quite interesting that you can click to filter tags for ONLY topics but you can't add a simple drop down menu to filter topics NOT with that tag? Couldnt you just simply add a variable locked to your profile and then put the different tags with check boxes to NOT show those? There's a ton of different ways you could implement it especially since you have the basic system of posts with tags. I've done a little bit of coding, and this is something that should be quite easy to implement considering the state of the forum now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's quite interesting that you can click to filter tags for ONLY topics but you can't add a simple drop down menu to filter topics NOT with that tag? Couldnt you just simply add a variable locked to your profile and then put the different tags with check boxes to NOT show those? There's a ton of different ways you could implement it especially since you have the basic system of posts with tags. I've done a little bit of coding, and this is something that should be quite easy to implement considering the state of the forum now.

No, it's not that simple.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For instance, we have the ability to click on a tag and see all posts of that kind, why can't we go into setting and select what we want to see or not what to see? Certainly it would be easy to implement considering the sorting function that the site already has.

Not only is it apt to be a larger coding effort than you might expect, it also has an unintended consequence. That kind of filtering would generally be based upon tags, and require the OP to choose to tag the thread as such. What you're talking about then is an incentive for them to *not* properly tag the threads.

Right now, Kickstarter threads are about 10% of what's on the front page. Are you sure that really makes it something we should deal with in software?

Evenglare

Adventurer
So basically I have to put up with kickstarter threads in the forums is what I'm hearing. It's strange that if there are so many complaining about kick starter threads the administration of the site would listen to their posters who would enjoy having this functionality. But I guess it's what the admins want more so than anything else it seems. I'll not try and provide feed back and ways of handling things in the future if I'm just told "no we can't do that". Thanks anyway though for at least reading my posts

Fetfreak

First Post
I don't mind the kickstarter. I usually just glance over it unless the title itself interests me. As for a kickstarter as a option for us gamers? All the best and I hope it won't die out. Sure there are many out there but that's great about it. You can find new games, support different ideas and maybe even find a game you will play for next few years.
That hasn't happened for me since I found 3.5 but hey maybe someone will create a new product that's right down my alley.

Remove ads