Too many Kickstarters?!?!?!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Interesting coincidence.

/on topic

I don't mind the threads on kickstarter, I kinda just overlook them. Like I overlook many threads with titles I am not interested in.

Filtering would be nice...but you know...I don't use that either. I just dive into the forums I like, skim a page or two, and on to the next forum.

The next question will be...why not have them in their own forum...well that defeats the purpose...they are supposed to catch your eye in case you may be interested.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
No, it's not easy to implement. It would be a major coding endeavor.
You know what we should do... hold a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to filter out the Kickstarter tags. :)

Umbran said:
What you're talking about then is an incentive for them to *not* properly tag the threads.
For what it's worth I'd assume that anybody who goes through the effort to filter out the tag is probably a lost cause anyway, so I wouldn't consciously try to go after them. Though most Kickstarter threads could very legitimately use another tag (a campaign for a Pathfinder compatible book could use the Pathfinder tag even if the author wasn't trying to be sneaky).

Evenglare said:
So basically I have to put up with kickstarter threads in the forums is what I'm hearing. It's strange that if there are so many complaining about kick starter threads the administration of the site would listen to their posters who would enjoy having this functionality. But I guess it's what the admins want more so than anything else it seems. I'll not try and provide feed back and ways of handling things in the future if I'm just told "no we can't do that". Thanks anyway though for at least reading my posts

Remember that it's not a question of do we make a filter or don't we. It's do we make a filter or do we spend the resources to do something else. In a perfect world we all have the options to do anything we want with the website, but time and money a limited, so Morrus and friends have to prioritize.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's strange that if there are so many complaining about kick starter threads the administration of the site would listen to their posters who would enjoy having this functionality. But I guess it's what the admins want more so than anything else it seems. I'll not try and provide feed back and ways of handling things in the future if I'm just told "no we can't do that". Thanks anyway though for at least reading my posts

You really want to go out of this on that kind of note?

There's a lot more involved here than just "some users have complained and we aren't listening". We just got through a major hack of the site. Morrus is still trying to get back functionality we lost. While he has funds, those funds and his time and resources are still limited. So, there's a lot of prioritizing involved.

Yes, some users don't like kickstarter threads. But we always must be wary of the "vocal minority" problem. Given finite resources, we usually have to focus on development that helps the most people. Are the folks bothered really enough to devote time and resources to it? Especially when the basic way to work the feature is one that people who really want their threads seen could avoid - the "Order of the Stick" tag on this very thread kind of proves that point.

That is why I asked - when they comprise 10% of the threads, is it really something you think we should be devoting developer resources to? That 10% is really that much of a burden to just skim past?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Though most Kickstarter threads could very legitimately use another tag (a campaign for a Pathfinder compatible book could use the Pathfinder tag even if the author wasn't trying to be sneaky).

Hmm. Maybe getting rid of the Kickstarter Tag is a good idea. Anything heralded on this site should definitely fit under some other Tag.

Celebrim

Legend
I think there will be an initial flush of creativity as people try out this new (and totally awesome) way of doing business.

However, I think in the long run what you'll see is a trend towards people supporting only the groups which have been reliable in the past. I would be surprised if there was a trend toward large dominate players just as in any other form of business. The good news is that the small entry level businesses will still be able to launch their product lines this way, but they'll need to bring the awesome, the word of mouth, or prior reputation. I think they'll end up being in the long run less people willing to fund a kickstarter just because the product sounds good.

Anyway I love Kickstarters. My only regret is that a decade ago when I was predicting how this new form of social advertising would work in the future to my friends, I didn't make the next connection and go, "You know, I bet I could capitalize on that idea by making a web site that would support the process." Still kicking myself for that, but I'm overjoyed that some nerds did make that connection and are providing such a great service to the public in general and specialized consumers like nerds in particular.

chrisdojo

First Post
KS is a great way for "the little guy" to get their creation to market. What I don't like is seeing established companies using it essentially as a pre-order.

cimbrog

Explorer
[Image removed. As stated later it is an abnormal configuration for the front page and doesn't actually add to the discussion. Have to attach something though so have a cartoon.]

Attachments

• 62483229d.jpg
    62483229d.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Remove ads