Too many Kickstarters?!?!?!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, that's pretty heavy - 8 Kickstarter threads in a row at the top of the first forum. Hmmm.

[Edit - ah, it's just because [MENTION=6723411]chrisdojo[/MENTION] just bumped them all at the same time. That's not a typical configuraton; the situation isn't quite as dire as it appeared!]

herrozerro

First Post
Well, almost. We want lots of new products actually printed and getting into the hands of gamers, which is not quite the same as announcing them.

I see one major potential issue with Kickstarter funding, but it isn't related to the number of projects funded directly. I see a risk that we will take the pre-ordering aspect of Kickstarter too far, such that products get ordered through the Kickstarter, and then not properly marketed through other venues. If that happens, if you're not in on the initial Kickstarter, you may have to forget hearing about or finding the game elsewhere, and that's a problematic dynamic for the market.

I agree, I hate having a link to a cool new product be a funded kick starter with no other forms of preordering or marketing. Makes me feel that I missed some bandwagon and its not worth it to even look at after that.

Fetfreak

First Post
I agree, I hate having a link to a cool new product be a funded kick starter with no other forms of preordering or marketing. Makes me feel that I missed some bandwagon and its not worth it to even look at after that.

I agree but still without kickstarter as an option, there would be no chance for many products to see a light of day.
I must agree withhttp://www.enworld.org/forum/member.php?6723411-chrisdojo chrisdojo thought, that I don't like seeing established names using kickstarter as you say a pre-order option. It's kind of, in a lack of a better word, lame.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Given the relatively low profit margins we see in the tabletop RPG industry I'm glad we're starting to see things like Kickstarter and Print On Demand become more common. The less money and time publishers need to dedicate to handling distribution, warehousing, etc. the more room there is in their budget for professional graphic design, play-testing, and quality artwork.

dafrca

First Post
I have to say I don't mind all the kickstarters. I can ignore the ones that don't meet my needs, look at the one's tht sound interesting, and fund those that I deem worth the effort/risk.

The bottom line fo rmeis, I don't really care if they are using the system as a pre-order or not. The internet and merchant direct sales has already drove my FLGS out of buisness so there is no reason forme not to buy direct or through kickstarters.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm +1 for the "up with Kickstarters!" bandwagon.

I've funded and actually received final products from such endeavours (and messed up with credit card payments and missed funding... sorry [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] *sheepish grin*), and I'm happy to see this become an option for gamers. And not just for gamers... but for anyone who has a project they want to get started but can't without some kind of financial "kick".

3.x products didn't have this option, yet we still managed to see piles of 3rd party products - mind you, many of them didn't go through vigorous prooofreading or playtesting or meet any kind of real criteria othen than respecting the OGC. Yet Kickstarter products give you, the guy with the cash, insight and in some cases, direct input into the product which you are going to buy BEFORE IT EVEN COMES OUT. Why folks would hate on that is beyond me.

And we didn't have the www back around 1990, so there's that.

The times have changed. Change is good.

Alarian

First Post
I'm a big fan of the Kickstarter posts. If your not interested in them, they are all labeled, so just ignore them like I do with all the subjects I have no interest in. I really like the new post tagging system. Lets me easily see which posts may or may not be of interest to me.

Jupp

Explorer
Didn't we have some kind of announcment forum in the past where the authors/companies could post their latest product announcments? I think this would be the akin to the current "Press Releases" forum, right? Perhaps we could make a rule that Kickstarter posts should be posted into such a forum as well? That would "clean" up the general chat again and still allow Kickstarter related news to be posted in ENWorld.

Remove ads