Too many vampires

Kinetti

First Post
I find myself compelled to play devil's advocate here, with all due respect and wuv to Velaria, of course. hi Vel!

To begin: "excellent RPer" is a purely subjective opinion. Rules or no rules, not everyone wants to see everything. Just as everyone has different opinions on what constitutes "are there too many vampires?" everyone has different opinions on what should or not should be done with vampires. Everyone will make their own opinions on what constitutes a good or excellent RPer. One would have to sit and watch that RPer to be able to adjudicate such, but people have their own factors they look for, and if your style of RP/Game, and of character persona grates on them, it hardly matters what rules you use, or what style you use. If it's not fun for them to interact with you, they're not going to want to, no matter how "excellent" you are. You think you're excellent, that's fine. I think I'm "excellent" to, but not everyone in the Cosmos will agree with either of us, no matter what we say. heh.

Of course, I shall indeed agree that "condescending" on people is not nice, and indeed will not help. But, calling those people who might not like your char automatically "closeminded" and "stifling to my creativity, you're a bad person for not liking my ideas" is not good either. This is why, more and more, I just flat-out don't say anything, and avoid conflicts, saving my gripes for the one or two people I trust. heh.

With all that said, I'll weigh in briefly on my own gripes about vampies. Yes, Vel, one can make vampies who have variations on the rules. But... so many vampies here have those exceptions. It gets old. haha. To me, anyway. This argument is easy to counter, of course, by people saying things like "but the norm is boring! It's fun to make something different!" But so many say that, that it's almost become faddish in and of itself. Everyone's so different, to me it's now the "norm" that would be unusual to see. heh. I'm not saying y'all can't do it. But, that's thus why I come in so seldom any more, too. Also why I don't say much here either, but hey. heh. Felt the need to, for once.

Well, I think that's about 4 or 5 cents by now. Rip it up as you will. hehe.
~~ KC

Magi_Apolline

ISRP Moderator
Good counter! I agree with you, KC

This argument is easy to counter, of course, by people saying things like "but the norm is boring! It's fun to make something different!" But so many say that, that it's almost become faddish in and of itself. Everyone's so different, to me it's now the "norm" that would be unusual to see.

Cassiel Moonfall

First Post
I think the biggest conflict when it comes to vampires on the ISRP is the players timezone. For me when its dark outside may be light outside or maybe mid afternoon for someone else. Naturally some peoples mind does not automatically factor in that little reminder and they go "Oh look another vampire out during the day" as outside there window is sunshine. But outside another persons window is complete moonlight and stars.

Its rather human nature to make sudden accusations with out counting all the numbers into the equation. The same could be said for say were creatures whose power relies on the phases of the moon. Where it is day to one it is night to another. Honestly i think the only way to remedy that particular issue is to instate an actual clock/calender for the whole of isrp. This would handle weather pattern problems. WHICH yes i already know there is a calender for the settings BUT instead of making it be a seperate website you have to visit just to see that its cold and windy outside or dig through months worth of posts to find the calenders. Can we not have it actually posted on the main ISRP page? Somewhere simple for people to look at so they know prior to logging on?

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I think, secretly deep down we all love KC. Some of us will just never admit it!

*cackles*

I've wanted a clock...since...forever.

And for the record. I'd play a normal vamp, if there were normal hunters ;-). I get Ariel's backside handed to me as it is!

Kinetti

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
I think, secretly deep down we all love KC. Some of us will just never admit it!
Wuv you too, Ariel. Secretly, of course. hehe.

I've wanted a clock...since...forever.
I always thought that this ISRP was under US Pacific time, just as ye olde Wiz-based ISRP was? I could be wrong, of course. heh.

And for the record. I'd play a normal vamp, if there were normal hunters ;-). I get Ariel's backside handed to me as it is!
Mwa ha ha. Well, you know there's at least one of 'em out there, with a Bolt of Glory with Ariel's name on it! *cackles ebilly*

~~ El KC

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Kinetti said:
I always thought that this ISRP was under US Pacific time, just as ye olde Wiz-based ISRP was? I could be wrong, of course. heh.

~~ El KC

Each setting is different, I believe. I know TMP is Eastern, since it's set in New York.
I've asked about Crossroads before (and even brought it up earlier in this thread), but, never did get a clear answer. I believe it was mentioned that the time and weather was on the page. But, I'm not sure where.
I think each setting has its own page - for CRT and The Bazaar the links to them are in the setting description as you enter the room.
For me, since Pacific was the time zone used before, that's the one I continue to use.

Infernal Scribe

First Post
there's a few problems of adding a time clock.

One example would be using US Pacific Time or whatever zones is that you have to look them up and assume that all people are lazy as default. Because we all know someone or another who doesn't even read the boards, they just merely come on for the chat and skip the rest, so i doubt they're willing to go the extra mile to another site and check the time for the room they planning to rp in. Less complication, less stress.

it be nice to have a time clock, but you would essentially would have to have a time clock for each room setting which sounds more like work then needed.

Another thing is, Point of View and setting. PoV: When Char #1 enters the tavern, its high noon. While Char #2 enters the tavern, its midnight. This will always be a pit fall. This can easily be explained via rp that the region around the tavern/rotunda follows different rules, due to the influx of the portals or the moon magic from the adepts or due to everyone being too intoxicated to notice the difference. My advice is to don't worry about it and toss it up as one more odd trait, like bootezu. As for the Modern Setting, since its based as a night club, assume that the time is always night time.

with no real sun to harm them (religious, symbolic, or quasi-elemental portal to the plane of radiance), i doubt the vampires need to worry about hanging out in day light hours in Sigil. As for afflicted lycanthropes, no moon means they're pretty much safe unless they're the cursed variety that gets "changed' by a different trigger method which should fit in your storyline.

As for normal default vampires. Unfortunately, there are so many different editions of the game and other games/novels/manga/film out there that has different abilities for vampires, what is considered as normal in some PoV is not normal to other PoV. As there is no such thing as a default elf or dwarf, due to skills, talents, abilities and know how. It may be old, but everyone is different. If you want a vampire to act how a vampire should act, then create a character and role play one, and the rest is sure to follow by your example or inspiration to create likewise.

Velaria

First Post
Ahhh much wuv back at you Kinetti dear, you and I have had our go around on many occasion, however when it was ic and Ivy going at Vel, well it was called for, because she knew. I suppose using the term "excellent" rper was a bit over zealous, however anyone has the potential, yet when met with derision right from the start because someone read their description and did not do as you suggested, watch, well that is what I am getting at.

We have seen it many a time, someone entering, and coming up to one of us, or another player and knowing their name and their politics without ever having interacted with that character. It often happened to me in the later years when I had the book of a description, because I wrote the story, the other person assumed they knew everything about Vel.

Now don't get me wrong, one that enters, slinking through the shadows (cough-cough-my dark self Alora- Cough-cough), licking their fangs (not Alora) and drawing in a deep breath searching for the scent of blood, well then by al means hunters attack! But a person walking into CRT, and taking a seat by the fire in her usual fashion, does not yell Vampire. Now mind you Kinette dear, I never said anything about close-minded or stiffeling of creativity, I am sure that was not directed at me in particular, but I just want that clear here that I never thought or felt that about anyone. Not even you during our worst periods :D.

Heck I don't know if I am making much sense, I understand the frustration with everyone and their mother wanting to be a bloodsucker, heck even I got frustrated back in the days when Vel started patrolling the emporium and killing her own kind when they acted outside of the rules and constraints. (remembers a few wizos that allowed me to bring final death to those that were breaking the rules before they took them over the moon bridge. lol)

So many youngsters so few of us that remember the way things used to be, and by young I mean those that were there long ago when we all crowded around the grove and hung out in the large tree talking into the night. *mutters softly* Let me get out of here before I ramble more with these final words.

I wuv you all with my old vampire self, haters and supporters alike, regardless of the few that made it no longer fun, you were all an important part of Vels development and life.

With sincere respect to all,
Velaria

Last edited:

Remove ads