• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Top D&D Software

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I run two programs: Eternalknight's DM Buddy for tracking combat (thanks, EK, it's great... and free!) and an XP calculator the maker of which I cannot recall.

I use etools as a coaster for my coffee....

Cheers
D

Eternalknight

First Post
Derulbaskul said:
I run two programs: Eternalknight's DM Buddy for tracking combat (thanks, EK, it's great... and free!) and an XP calculator the maker of which I cannot recall.

I use etools as a coaster for my coffee....

Cheers
D

Not a problem, just glad someone other than myself gets enjoyment out of it!

Macbeth

First Post
What I've Found

I did some research on my own and have setteled on PCGen for creating PCs and NPCs, Digital Assistant for planning adventures and DM Screen for in game use.

Da Man

Explorer
You should definitely check out the Tablesmith and Campaign Sage that was mentioned.

Both are free and I think the Tablesmith is a godsend.

In addition, I have recently tried and tested the others listed above, and absolutely NONE match the quick response you get on ALL queries about Tablesmith (which, as mentioned, is free) from the designer (it's amazing how helpful he is since it is free.)

In my continuing testing, I did discover DM Genie which is really surprizing me thus far. It costs money, like some of the others listed above, but is not in as much of a beta stage as they appear to be (I need to put a disclaimer here....this is the last in a long series of tests that I have been running and I have not truly explored any of them FULLY, and DM Genie I have explored the least....but, it has a 60 day test period and I'm still going at it=)

Also, as a note, I did find PC Gen useful, but it uses Java which I find to be the slowest engine of them all....perhaps this is more of a testament to my lack of patience, but it's my opinion anyway=)

Last edited:

Da Man

Explorer
Wow...I didn't know that...

I am now wondering how much other stuff on my pc is shareware vs being free....I am usually in such a hurry to get something installed (free time is valuable these days), I don't really check.

I've had one version or another of Tablesmith for awhile, so I certainly owe the cashola...

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
absolutely NONE match the quick response you get on ALL queries about Tablesmith

Oh, poo! Most of these programs are developed by fans of the game who are doing it for the love of doing it. We like nothing more than talking about our babies with new users. I, Bruce, Luke, Janik, and most of the rest all provide support better than you'll find anywhere else.

Da Man

Explorer
Untrue.

In fact, one can log into the support locations for both of these tools and see questions by moi that have been ignored.

DMF has a yahoo list. I estimate that it was about a week ago that I posted 2 to 3 questions (maybe 10 days ago.)

Never received any response.

Now, I have not paid a dime for either of these programs yet, so one might argue that I don't deserve a response. But, that's my experience and the proof is in digital form still up on Yahoo and a board.

:shrug: If I were 'upset' by this, I would have posted it to the list in question. I simply considered it par for the course. But, if I see a post in a forums asking about these types, I am certainly going to give my experiences.

I happen to be in the 'mid' stages of testing all of these software products right now. So, I am not tied to any of them and I believe my opinions might be the most objective around here.

Da Man

Explorer
I should add that I think DM's Familiar has the most power (in my testing so far, at least.)

It is simply just not user friendly enough for the ordinary joe blow, which I am=)

Remove ads