• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Torch as weapon

Li Shenron

Legend
Is there anywhere in WotC books an official ruling on how to use a Torch as a weapon. I have my own ideas on how to house-rule it, but I would rather like to find an offical rule for it. I cannot find it anywhere in any of my books...

Orm

Explorer
There´s something about improvised throwing weapons in the PHB. You can throw some objects as weapons but with a -4 penalty as you considered to be non proficient.

I think I would use it as a club that deals extra fire damage. As a torch is normaly smaller than a club, it would deal 1d3 or 1d4 instead of 1d6 normal damage and 1d3 or 1d4 fire damage depending on the actual size.

Death

First Post
I didn't find answer for that question either. I have house ruled it, that torch does 1d3 damage + 1d2 fire damage at -4 penalty for improvised weapon.

Doppleganger

First Post
The d20M SRD can be used to help figure out what the base torch damage should be:
Improvised Weapons
Any portable object can be used as a weapon in a pinch. In most cases, an object can be wielded either as a melee weapon or a ranged weapon. A character takes a -4 penalty on his or her attack roll when wielding or throwing an improvised weapon.

Table: Improvised Weapon Damage by Size
Object Size Damage
Diminutive 1
Tiny 1d2
Small 1d3
Medium-size 1d4
Large 1d6
Huge 1d8
Gargantuan 2d6
Colossal 2d8
And then the regular d20 SRD for the fire damage:
Catching on Fire
Characters at risk of catching fire are allowed a Reflex saving throw (DC 15) to avoid this fate. If a character’s clothes or hair catch fire, he takes 1d6 points of damage immediately. In each subsequent round, the burning character must make another Reflex saving throw. Failure means he takes another 1d6 points of damage that round. Success means that the fire has gone out.
The PHB explains that improvised weapons have a 10' range increment, and the threat range for unspecified weapons is 20/x2.

Here's one possible solution using just those written rules:

Strike Blow with Torch, -4 melee or -4 ranged, 1d3 damage (possibly 1d4 depending on your view of normal torch size), 10' range increment, 20/x2 criticals, if struck the opponent rolls DC15 Reflex save or suffers additional 1d6 fire damage plus is now considered "on fire"

Li Shenron

Legend
Doppleganger said:
The d20M SRD can be used to help figure out what the base torch damage should be:

And then the regular d20 SRD for the fire damage:

The PHB explains that improvised weapons have a 10' range increment, and the threat range for unspecified weapons is 20/x2.

Here's one possible solution using just those written rules:

Strike Blow with Torch, -4 melee or -4 ranged, 1d3 damage (possibly 1d4 depending on your view of normal torch size), 10' range increment, 20/x2 criticals, if struck the opponent rolls DC15 Reflex save or suffers additional 1d6 fire damage plus is now considered "on fire"

Thanks, I have never looked into the d20M SRD before. It's a pity that there is nothing on the PHB/DMG, but at least the above is not a house rule.

So no fire damage with the attack itself, you suggest, just a chance of getting on fire, then. I was thinking it should have been different, since striking doesn't much have a chance IMHO of catch fire to someone, but I thought being hot it should have had a straightforward little fire damage.

Remove ads