TORMENT - Tides of Numenera

Not to mention that Monte Cook doesn't own the trademarks for PLANESCAPE. Sad thing is I don"t think he needs to try to hitch his horse to that post to get exposure. The majority of the target demo (that being crp gamers) would not know what "Planescape" is... they are looking for the next WoW, Diablo, FF, etc.

In all this is making Monte Cook seem like a talentless hack who lacks confidence in his own setting to the point that he needs to try go steal try to steal product exposure from a more established brand.

-Sent via a cybernetic device.

The majority of the target demo doesn't know what it is? How odd...did you notice how quickly the kickstarter met its goal?

Roland55

First Post
Also, I have some real issues with the title of this thread. The project's name is Torment: Tides of Numenera. I'm not sure why Roland55 made the thread's title what it is (Planescape: Tides of Numenera makes about as much sense as Star Wars: Star Trek into Darkness), but it really ought to be changed. The game is being promoted as "in the tradition of Planescape: Torment" but nothing more than that. Hell, Project Eternity name-dropped Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment. Anyone crapping on inXile for referencing another notable CRPG needs to dial it back; you're writing checks your nerd cred can't cash.

The thread's title is going to cause a lot of confusion, and has clearly already contributed to some knee-jerk, ignorant reactions from people who aren't familiar with the project or the team behind it.

On a happier note, Torment hit the $1 million mark faster than any other project in Kickstarter history. This thing is going to be a funding monster a month from now.

Sorry about that -- let me see if I can change it.

No intent to to cause any angst.

I'm constantly surprised at what will cause offense. I suppose it's because I was born in a different era?

Regardless, I'll see if I can repair this unintentional error.

Dannager

First Post
Sorry about that -- let me see if I can change it.

No intent to to cause any angst.

I'm constantly surprised at what will cause offense. I suppose it's because I was born in a different era?

I wasn't taking offense at it - it's not my place to get offended on others' behalf like that. I was just concerned that it might contribute to some runaway misinformation (which seems to have been the case, judging by some of the posts from page 1). This is the internet; one word out of place and before you know it you're a Snopes article. Sorry if it came off as me being indignant.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The Infinity Engine games have a huge cult like following, and Torment is widely considered to be the best, at least in terms of story.

Beyond that, it's funny how people get hung up on the law, as opposed who has the moral right to make a sequel. You have most of the people who worked on the Planescape setting as well as the people who worked on the Torment game. Who should be able to do a sequel? Them, or a company (Hasbro) that had nothing to do with the original game, but owns the rights because they bought out two different companies?

Still, I passed on it because I personally couldn't finish Torment (or any other IE game) because of the real time combat. I'm terrible at RTSes, even ones where you can pause. Just find them frustrating. So having combat like one was too much for me. Why I didn't back Project Eternity, either.

It's kind of funny how games like these which are only about 15 years old, have now taken the "old school" label, while games that are actually old school, Wizardry and its ilk can't get any traction on KS

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Monte is a very visible (and increasingly substantial) part of the RPG industry. He can't (fractionally?) transcend himself, can he?

I think he can do both. It's that omnipotence thing he's now got going on!

Remove ads