TORMENT - Tides of Numenera

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
To be fair though, I think more people are excited about this not because it's Monte Cook's world, but because it's from the "makers of Planescape: Torment". Seriously, read the comments and people see the computer game maker as the lions share of it. I just hope enough people remember it's Monte's setting.

This sort of shows me how D&D has become irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. When the "Infinity Engine" D&D games came out, most people were excited because it was the D&D and it was taken to a new level beyond the Gold Box game era. But gradually, over time, the actual CRPG developers got the fans and Bioware and ex-Bioware guys (inXile, Obsidian) have gotten the customer loyalty. To this day, people still think it's Bioware refusing to do a Baldur's Gate 3, and people are not excited about things like the new D&D games coming out from Cyanide.

I do think the "torment" name is kind of dumb--they are trying to capitalize on the memories of PST without actually licensing the setting or rules, yet are using it to say "hey, we made this game". I'd be more impressed if they weren't doing that and starting fresh, but I understand how it's hard to brand a new game.

Kaodi

Hero
It's kind of funny how games like these which are only about 15 years old, have now taken the "old school" label, while games that are actually old school, Wizardry and its ilk can't get any traction on KS

First, a question: Is the term "Old School" kind of like "Modernism" ? Is it not a relative temporal description but rather a definite one, referring to the time period from the mid 70s to early 90s? (Edit: As far as RPGs and electronic games are concerned, I mean.)

Second: If you are referring to Shaker, the name of the failed Kickstarter project created by some of the folks who worked on Wizardry, I do not think irony is really the operative term. If you compare the videos for Shaker (or Old School RPG, its original launch name) to those for Wasteland 2 and Torment, there is a clear difference in quality. The Shaker video is trying to sell the idea of an old school RPG along with its creators. But it hardly tells you anything about the actual game, and only in Update #2 do you even begin to get the first story details. Contrast that to the Wasteland 2 video, where they are actually selling a known IP (with the help of the IP of its spiritual successor too), and to the Torment video, where they actually tell you some of the stuff about the game. Shaker totally could have been funded if they had held off until they were ready to tell people about the game and the game world in the video. The project was botched on the marketing end, in my opinion, not on the weakness of demand for a really Old School RPG.

Roland55

First Post
I wasn't taking offense at it - it's not my place to get offended on others' behalf like that. I was just concerned that it might contribute to some runaway misinformation (which seems to have been the case, judging by some of the posts from page 1). This is the internet; one word out of place and before you know it you're a Snopes article. Sorry if it came off as me being indignant.

Indignant? No ... it's just that I've become sensitive to causing angst over the last decade or so.

You're certainly right about misinformation. I don't want to be the cause of any of that.

Absolutely no need for any apology.

My thanks to the Mod who fixed my improperly worded title.

Last edited:

Roland55

First Post
The Infinity Engine games have a huge cult like following, and Torment is widely considered to be the best, at least in terms of story.

It's kind of funny how games like these which are only about 15 years old, have now taken the "old school" label, while games that are actually old school, Wizardry and its ilk can't get any traction on KS

Very. "Old School" indeed! ;)

And a mere 15 years old ... how does that old saying go: "I've got underwear ..."??:D

Mokona

First Post
There is a lot written about Torment (from the Planescape game angle). Most mention something like, "Met with critical (but not commercial) success, Planescape: Torment is probably the best role-playing game you've never heard of."

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...3/25-best-stories-in-games/planescape-torment

It makes sense to use the improved tools we have now to retry what Planescape: Torment attempted (i.e. I'm sure it would like to have been a financial success as well).

Dannager

First Post
Planescape: Torment was reportedly profitable, though not significantly so. It certainly wasn't a financial failure.

Given that inXile probably already has an in-place development pipeline for a game fairly similar to Tides of Numenera, I have little doubt that the game will be financially successful.

dracomilan

Explorer
I do think the "torment" name is kind of dumb--they are trying to capitalize on the memories of PST without actually licensing the setting or rules, yet are using it to say "hey, we made this game". I'd be more impressed if they weren't doing that and starting fresh, but I understand how it's hard to brand a new game.

my point exactly.

Beyond that, it's funny how people get hung up on the law, as opposed who has the moral right to make a sequel. You have most of the people who worked on the Planescape setting as well as the people who worked on the Torment game. Who should be able to do a sequel? Them, or a company (Hasbro) that had nothing to do with the original game, but owns the rights because they bought out two different companies?

Hasbro paid for those rights so you pay Hasbro to use them or you spin a different story to sell your own project. This is what I was trying to explain: the moral right is not of these people, even if they worked on the project 15 years ago. I worked for a lot of projects in my life, but since I was an employee, I do not own them.

If this wasn't 'goodwill building time' for D&D next, they would have reacted just like GW reacted to the usage of Space Marines ’dress colorurs’ (they apologized but showed a hell lot of muscles and screamed 'do not mess with me').
Is it right? Is it wrong? Well, My (misinformed and I don't know how else I was called by the project advocates) Opinion is that it is right, since D&D is becoming irrilevent just because it being stripped of its defining features from a lot of differrent angles (Pathfinder first, then this) and the end result is:

This sort of shows me how D&D has become irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. When the "Infinity Engine" D&D games came out, most people were excited because it was the D&D and it was taken to a new level beyond the Gold Box game era. But gradually, over time, the actual CRPG developers got the fans and Bioware and ex-Bioware guys (inXile, Obsidian) have gotten the customer loyalty

Execution matters, and it is generally accepted that WotC wasn't that good with D&D lately. :)

Erekose

Eternal Champion
To be fair though, I think more people are excited about this not because it's Monte Cook's world, but because it's from the "makers of Planescape: Torment".

I'm generally a fan of Monte's work but this was the big draw for me to contribute.

Remove ads