TORMENT - Tides of Numenera

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hasbro paid for those rights so you pay Hasbro to use them or you spin a different story to sell your own project. This is what I was trying to explain: the moral right is not of these people, even if they worked on the project 15 years ago. I worked for a lot of projects in my life, but since I was an employee, I do not own them.

Yes, but you can put them on your resume when you look for new work.

Dannager

First Post
Hasbro paid for those rights

What rights, exactly?

so you pay Hasbro to use them

Why would they pay Hasbro? They're not using Hasbro's setting. They're not using Hasbro's IP. They're not using Hasbro's development assets.

or you spin a different story to sell your own project. This is what I was trying to explain: the moral right is not of these people, even if they worked on the project 15 years ago. I worked for a lot of projects in my life, but since I was an employee, I do not own them.

They're not acting like they own them.

If this wasn't 'goodwill building time' for D&D next, they would have reacted just like GW reacted to the usage of Space Marines ’dress colorurs’ (they apologized but showed a hell lot of muscles and screamed 'do not mess with me').

No, they wouldn't, because WotC/Hasbro doesn't have any legal claim against the Torment team. inXile has the rights to the Torment mark. That's why they can say, on their Kickstarter page, that Torment is a trademark of inXile.

Is it right? Is it wrong? Well, My (misinformed and I don't know how else I was called by the project advocates)

Are you saying you're not misinformed? You claimed the project could be shut down over patent infringement.

Last edited:

dracomilan

Explorer
Immutatio. That was rethoric and intended as a quick jab easily understandable by the general audience.

The real legal claims about this situation are surely rock-solid, a software corporation surely had the kickstarter ad reviewd by its legal team before putting it online.

Now I know for what kind of people emoticons were invented.

I wanted to show my discomfort with Torment, and I get I'm not the only one so incredibly happy about this project which refers to itself as the new Torment.

So I just answer you Yes they are and Yes they would and No, I'm not. ;))

Morrus: they just went a little too far and thei rresume looks a lot like a comparative ad.

Dannager

First Post
You continue to insist that there is some "right" to the idea of Torment that inXile doesn't have, and that WotC/Hasbro has. But you haven't provided any evidence that such a right exists - even a moral one.

Here's the counter-argument: inXile has every right to trade on the idea of being the spiritual successor to Torment. Much of the team is identical, the guys in charge of the story are working on it, and they want to make a game that plays like Torment.

So you tell us: Why shouldn't inXile be portraying their project as a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment?

I don't have a lot of tolerance for this kind of pointless, manufactured outrage.

I personally have gone to Gen Con, which was once run by Wizards, who bought the IP of D&D from TSR, who were the rights owners when Planescape Torment was made. Clearly I am owed a cut of this new video game because they're stealing my intellectual property. As in, somewhere in my brain I am tangentially connected to what they're doing.

No, I'm sorry. The argument that Numenara is somehow at fault here makes as much sense as a record company suing me for having a song stuck in my head. My God, think of how many times I'm listening to it without paying them royalties.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I personally have gone to Gen Con, which was once run by Wizards, who bought the IP of D&D from TSR, who were the rights owners when Planescape Torment was made. Clearly I am owed a cut of this new video game because they're stealing my intellectual property. As in, somewhere in my brain I am tangentially connected to what they're doing.

No, I'm sorry. The argument that Numenara is somehow at fault here makes as much sense as a record company suing me for having a song stuck in my head. My God, think of how many times I'm listening to it without paying them royalties.

Every time you hear a song in your head, you're stealing FOOD from the mouths of the starving musicians who poured their heart & souls into that song you've stolen from them. You monster.

But seriously, between this, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, and Shroud of the Avatar, I think I'm set on CRPGs for the next several years. 2013-2014 ought to be a good year of gaming goodness.

Roland55

First Post
Every time you hear a song in your head, you're stealing FOOD from the mouths of the starving musicians who poured their heart & souls into that song you've stolen from them. You monster.

But seriously, between this, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, and Shroud of the Avatar, I think I'm set on CRPGs for the next several years. 2013-2014 ought to be a good year of gaming goodness.

Certainly what I'm hoping for -- even if I never find the time to play even one.

I have kids and grandkids, and they can enjoy 'em!!:)

Mokona

First Post
Planescape: Torment was reportedly profitable, though not significantly so. It certainly wasn't a financial failure.

Given that inXile probably already has an in-place development pipeline for a game fairly similar to Tides of Numenera, I have little doubt that the game will be financially successful.
If Planescape: Torment had been a financial success then there would have been a sequel. Further, numerous articles claim that it wasn't really a commercial success at the time.

I believe that Kickstarter has changes the equation. If Torment: Tides of Numenera raises $4+ million and is only played by Kickstarter backers it should be a financial success (or I don't know why InXile shouldn't structure their costs that way). If T:TON sells additional copies above and beyond the strong revenue they produce from Kickstarter, that is my prediction. It is too early to know. I think that really successful Kickstarter games will find that there is an audience for the games that are made possible by Kickstarter that is much, much bigger than the current user-base of Kickstarter.

glenrm

First Post
This is a great Kickstarter and Numenara is an amazing setting. I had already backed Numenara the RPG and to be able to get a CRPG of it in development this soon is an amazing use of crowd funding. I am glad to see an original new setting in the mix.

I was also very excited I could get in on Wasterland 2 which I missed out on. It made the whole double Kickstarter thing make sense to me.

sciborg3

First Post
Last edited:

Remove ads