• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tower of Druaga... only butt-kicking RPG fans need apply

If you are a fantasy RPG fan, this anime should be required watching.

The first two minutes alone are enough to make the gamer in me drool. Watching the whole thing... I wish my campaigns were that cool magnificent.

Just by the number of gaming in-jokes you can tell the writers and animators were geeks of the first order.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hmmm, I watched the first episode and while I thought the idea was interesting, I ended up watching the entire episode, but couldn't stand it well enough to even think about watching another one.

Dog Moon said:
Hmmm, I watched the first episode and while I thought the idea was interesting, I ended up watching the entire episode, but couldn't stand it well enough to even think about watching another one.

Did you watch the last two minutes of the first episode, which explains what just happened and makes it all the funnier?

And later in the series someone is playing a gambling dice game... with d20s. There is no way that is not made of win.

Hey there! :)

Loved it - thanks for the link. :D

As someone who actually battled the evil god Druaga in 1st Edition it was made all the more poignant. :cool:

Kaodi

Hero
Without comparing quality, it certainly seems to be an opening in the same vein as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Completely whacked, but sort of going somewhere.

Kaodi

Hero
I have watched up to the end of Episode 5 now. The first episode is definately the low point, though I cannot say whether it is really for everyone. If you can last long enough to watch Episode 2, you might find it palatable, however.

Baumi

Adventurer
Thanks for the link. I have to agree that the first episode is not a good representation of the following episodes, but still very fun.

I think the background would make a perfect fit for a D&D Dungeon Crawl Setting and even more impressive they showed that a Dungeon Crawl Campaign could be fun and non-repeating. :cool:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
First thing the archer guy does in his duel: FINAL ATTACK!
:D

Is my memory cross-wired, or isn't Tower of Druaga Namco-related? Could swear I remember a Tower of that name from one of their Game Cube games, either Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia (I think it's from the former). To check! *runs off*

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
First thing the archer guy does in his duel: FINAL ATTACK!
:D

Is my memory cross-wired, or isn't Tower of Druaga Namco-related? Could swear I remember a Tower of that name from one of their Game Cube games, either Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia (I think it's from the former). To check! *runs off*
My memory is not exactly great but I recall a Tower of Darkness in an NES game. And it was an RPG as well, not in the Final Fantasy style though. More like Ghosts & Goblins with RPG elements added on.

Remove ads