• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traps activating on view

schporto

First Post
What I ended up doing, and was fairly happy with. Note they had previously triggered an 'on sight' trap.
Make a spot check - over a DC you see the rune.
Make an intelligence (or maybe wisdom) check, succeed and you were paranoid enough not to actually look at it.
Worked well. Do you realize how hard it is to disable a trap you can't look at....
-cpd

Quidam

First Post
spoilers

My players hate you now, because since I'm currently running RttToEE and since I know one of my players reads this board avidly... Those traps just got more deadly IMC. Not sure how, but they did, because now I have to change them.

Please, remove the context from your questions or at least put up a spoiler warning.

schporto

First Post
Quidam said:
My players hate you now, because since I'm currently running RttToEE and since I know one of my players reads this board avidly... Those traps just got more deadly IMC. Not sure how, but they did, because now I have to change them.

Please, remove the context from your questions or at least put up a spoiler warning.

I apologize. I didn't think it was enough to warrant a spoiler warning.
-cpd

Quidam

First Post
Apology accepted and thanks for editing the top post.

Though the post title really says it all. :D Don't bother changing it- the damage is done.

Next time, don't put in a spoiler warning, just don't mention the context of the question and it's all good.

Jack Simth

First Post
frankthedm said:
The ins and outs of the Shadow Conjouration spells making load bearing structures are the domains of Wotc's writers, the rules that allow for the willful failure of saves, loony toons and the ACME coperation.
Well, yes, but it can sure be funny. Just make sure it's not bearing any loads other than more shadow-stuff and people (the ones you like, you let in on the secret of safe walking).

Kmart Kommando

First Post
In that kind of module, being the rogue sucks 3 times as much. Lots of things you can't sneak attack, lots of things that put out fort saves, and tons of traps that you can't search for or disarm without setting them off, even with maxxed out search and disable skills.

It's always like this: "Ok, you find a symbol trap across the room, and you can't get to it without setting it off, so you're going to have to go set it off to disarm it" :\

Isn't the whole point of maxxing your box skills as a rogue so you can bypass traps and get the xp for them without killing half the party?

Having a symbol of death on the wall shouldn't require having someone walk into it, finding out where it is, then casting death ward on the rogue so he can go disable it. :uhoh: Especially if the trapfinder is actively searching for traps. They have a higher DC to disable because they are magic, not just because, and you have to set it off anyway. :p

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Ah, like the Greater Shadow Conjouration Wall of Stone floor. With a 40% unaffected chance for those who don't believe in it for the non-damaging effect of supporting weight.
MAN! I never thought of THAT... great means of escape... or a trap. :p

Fieari

Explorer
I'm really digging the shadow conjuration floor. That's awesome. Combine it with an illusion of a pit, and you have a real "Trial of Faith" to walk across... I'm thinking here of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Artoomis said:
"there may be something in the far left coiner, but it is currently hidden in the shadows cast from your torchlight (or whatever)."

... = "Everyone, go look in that corner, there's something interesting there."

This is, IMHO, a way to absolutely guarantee that someone gets hit by the first trap, and then patently ignores anything you describe like this for the rest of the adventure.

In other words, I think it's a pretty bad idea and is extremely metagamey - in that the DM only says there's something interesting beyond your torchlight when it's a trap or a treasure.

alice_of_ebony

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
It's always like this: "Ok, you find a symbol trap across the room, and you can't get to it without setting it off, so you're going to have to go set it off to disarm it" :\

That's not the way it works.

SRD said:
A successful Search check (DC 25 + spell level) made by a rogue (and only a rogue) detects a magic trap before it goes off.

Symbol of Death has a trigger range of 60'. So a rogue 65' away (within 10' of the trigger) can Search, find the Symbol (DC 33), and Disable it (DC 33 again).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads