Traps and Wards (Erekose 13 Judging) [Concluding]

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: I'd judge :) Guess you need a trapmaster in here more tho eh. For prospective players it doesnt need to be a rogue. Beguilers and Artificers both have find traps and Search/Open Lock/Disable Device on their skill lists.

Patlin

Explorer
Patlin said:
ooc: Just about any character type is OK, though you'll need a skill based character such as a rogue, scout, or artificer. Hence the lock...

Yup, yup. E13 has it right.

Also, note that at this point your prospective employer has tossed a small padlock on the table, and is demanding a show of some skill before hiring you. It's a very simple lock...

IamTheTest

First Post
[sblock=Patlin]I know that this may be bending the rules a bit but Fritz is naive. Would it be possible to use Prestidigitation to make some shabby tool and attempt to get lucky with a roll? I went ahead and made the roll and did pretty well. With the +1 from Guidance I beat DC 22 however Id assume you would give a circumstance penalty for shabby tools. Regardless, I figure its worth asking. Id hate for this adventure to end because we forgot to pack a rogue.
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=756278[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
Fritz makes a valiant effort at picking the lock, but doesn't really know where to begin

ooc: Open Lock (Dex; Trained Only) -- Unless Fritz has ranks in open lock, he's out of luck. At this point, recruitment is still open, and I'm reluctant to go further until a team has been recruited with a reasonable chance of success. However, if you have a detailed plan on how to handle locks and traps by some other means, the guild might be convinced. Access to spells such as find traps and knock, for example, could substitute for a character with trapfinding and open lock.

IamTheTest

First Post
ooc: find traps and knock are both lvl 2 spells. Im not sure any of us have that capability. Hopefully we can get a skill monkey in here soon.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
IamTheTest said:
ooc: find traps and knock are both lvl 2 spells. Im not sure any of us has that capability. Hopefully we can get a skill monkey in here soon.

Yes, the casting of 2nd level spells is out of reach. However, scrolls remain an option.

IamTheTest

First Post
Perhaps we could acquire some more powerful magic to assist us where we lack? I think scrolls will do the trick, but Ive heard that those sorts of things can be expensive. I havent much money left.
[sblock=ooc]A scroll of Knock is the same price as a scroll of Find Traps (150 gp). Considering the likelihood of our party requiring more than one application of such tools I think we can expect to drop some serious bank if that is the route we choose. I hope a rogue shows up soon.[/sblock]

penance

First Post
Samarik suddenly jumps to his feat. "I have an idea! Johan, your employers want this to be a through test, right? Well, give us each an advance on the payment and we will use the gold for making the party able to meet this challenge. If we fail to break even, we'll find some way to repay you, and your guild will have had a perfectly correct trial. How does that sound?" Even a thousand gold would go a long way, and we are almost certain to make at least that much.... Right?

The fighter seems happy with himself. However, his normal confidence is rapidly dissapearing and being replaced with the feeling of unpreparedness.

Last edited:

corcio

First Post
fearalan inspects the lock closely and shrugs and simply pulls at it a bit, and shrugs and turns away.

ooc - sorry i was gone for the weekend unexpectedly. ill try and catch up.

Remove ads