Traps and Wards (Erekose 13 Judging) [Concluding]

Patlin

Explorer
The lamp is lit, and it provides enough illumination that you can see that the metal rungs lead down about 30' to a stone floor down below. Guardian balances his weight carefully on the metal rungs as he decends into the darkness. He's halfway down the ladder when he hears an ominous click. Even before he can exclaim in surprise, the metal rungs begin to fall out of their positions on the wall, and Guardian topples toward the floor....

Patlin

Explorer
Falling damage for Guardian (1d6=1)

While the sides of the shaft are out of reach, Guardian manages to slow his fall somewhat by grasping at the wall, and keeps his balance well enough to minimize the impact as he lands on his feat.

Unfortunately, there is a magical flash of light as he steps on some sort of ward at the bottom of his fall, and a monster materializes out of thin air next to him. Before anyone has a chance to react, the canine form snarls and breathes fire!

Hell Hound's Breath Weapon, Reflex DC 13 for half (2d6=11)

Hell Hound Initiative (1d20+5=24)

IcyCool

First Post
OOC: Guardian was at 9 hp before the breath weapon attack and the fall.

Reflex save, action point if save roll is (7-12) (1d20+1=2, 1d6=4), Action point NOT spent.

OOC: And because invisible castle hates me (hooray, natural one on his first saving throw!), Guardian is now at -3 and stable (warforged don't bleed, right?).

Though the fall doesn't jostle him much, Guardian is wholly unprepared for the Hellhound's fiery attack, and is nearly incinerated by the deadly heat. His blue gem-eyes dim as the heat scorches his armor plating and singes his wooden frame. He topples in an inert heap at the base of the ladder.

Patlin

Explorer
IcyCool said:
OOC: And because invisible castle hates me (hooray, natural one on his first saving throw!), Guardian is now at -3 and stable (warforged don't bleed, right?).

That's correct.

I need initiatives from those still concious. Hopefully someone will take immediate action to save Guardian from the Hellhound!

IcyCool

First Post
Patlin said:
That's correct.

I need initiatives from those still concious. Hopefully someone will take immediate action to save Guardian from the Hellhound!

OOC: Well, if it were a non-intelligent animal, Guardian's inert body might be safe (no meat, no breathing, just a lump). Of course, Hell-hounds aren't exactly unintelligent. On the upside, I think Guardian still has an AC of 9 (no shield, prone, and no dex), so the hell hound might still miss. :heh:

Good luck guys.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Hellhounds are sufficiently mean spirited that unless it's provided with another target relatively soon, it might conceivably go for a Coupe de Gras. The party has a number of options to distract, disable, destroy or deactivate the hellhound, of course. ;)

Remove ads