Travels through the Wild West: a Forgotten Realms Story

Old One

First Post
Can everyone say "Plane Shift"?

LB -

Just got caught up through the present post...very impressive!

A couple of questions:

(1) Is the "Story Hour" from a current campaign, an old campaign or a "creative campaign";)?

(2) I really enjoyed the confrontation with the Cyricist, but I am suprised that he didn't have more help. Was he being over-confident or just stupid:D!

Anyway, great story hour...I am looking forward to seeing what the PCs do in their new home!

~ Old One

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks, Old One!
To answer your questions:
1) As I stated way way back on post #1, I started this story as a way of familiarizing myself with the Forgotten Realms. I had just bought the campaign book, and thought that a "guided tour" with an actual party would be a good way to go about it. Plus, this way I got to design a campaign as I created the story, and familiarize myself more with the specifics of the 3e rules.

While the story is almost all fiction (with a few elements lifted from old campaigns), the characters were initially based on those of a group I gamed with back in the old 1e/2e days while I was in college. Since then the characters have taken on a life of their own, and I'd say that they now only dimly resemble those archetypes I started with. I honestly never thought that the story would go as far as it has (initially I had only sketched out the plot with the Cyricist priest and the hobgoblin fort), but now I can't stop the flow of ideas. As long as people enjoy what I'm writing, I guess I'll keep doing it.

2) Doh! I was hoping no one would notice... but yes, initially I had the cleric reinforced by a summoning glyph and some lesser undead (the reason he has the desecrate spell), but when I hit on the idea of the summoned demon, I realized that the encounter was getting out of the realm of what a fourth level party could handle. Luckily, it all came together, and the death of Cal provided a hook that led the companions to the next adventure.

Old One

First Post
Old One grumbles about being blind...

Lazybones said:
Thanks, Old One!
To answer your questions:
1) As I stated way way back on post #1, I started this story as a way of familiarizing myself with the Forgotten Realms. I had just bought the campaign book, and thought that a "guided tour" with an actual party would be a good way to go about it. Plus, this way I got to design a campaign as I created the story, and familiarize myself more with the specifics of the 3e rules.

LB -

Doh! I really should read things better - gotcha!

~ Old One

Lazybones

Adventurer
Hello, readers!

I've started a new thread for Book III of the story (and gave away where they are now located, oh well). The new thread opens with a poll, please take a moment to participate!

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4975

Hopefully the old thread won't immediately plummet to the bottom of the page, now that the new one is active... please give it a bump every now and again, so that new readers can find the story. :)

Thanks again for reading, and on to book III!

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
What a wonderful ending for book II!
I'm going right now to book III...

A question, have you got any website? Because I think such a story merits to be placed in a website, to allow everybody to read it, and not to be sunk in the later pages of this board.

Lazybones

Adventurer
A website? Hmm...

Back in 1997-98 I had a story page on Earthlink that featured one of my early novels, but I'm not sure if my current provider has website hosting. I'll look into it, though!

Thanks and see you at the new thread!

Dungannon

First Post
Lazybones said:
Hopefully the old thread won't immediately plummet to the bottom of the page, now that the new one is active... please give it a bump every now and again, so that new readers can find the story. :)

Just finished your first two books, and I must say that this is easily one of the most entertaining story hours I've read. The Forgotten Realms have been my favorite campaign setting since I read the Moonshae & Icewind Dale trilogies in the late 80's, early 90's and I'm always interested in another DMs take on them.

Now it's on to book III, where I'm very interested to see how you've updated the Isle of Dread for 3e. The Isle was the first "pre-fab" module I ever played and has been a personal favorite of mine that I've played and DMed in various incarnations through 1st & 2nd edition AD&D.

Remove ads