Trend of Companies heading away from d20

If it's not d20, I won't play it. Pretty simple really. My life is complicated enough as it is. I also rarely buy anything that's not WotC. Too many bad experiences with broken and needless options.

Psion

Adventurer
rgard said:
Thanks for correcting my spelling of Margaret's last name.

Was I? I was just guessing?

Anyway, do you remember what in the A:TLW is OGC?

I forget what they are called in the omni system, but basically, they imported a bunch of feats. I don't recall if anything else from the Omni system is open.

rgard

Adventurer
Psion said:
Was I? I was just guessing?

I forget what they are called in the omni system, but basically, they imported a bunch of feats. I don't recall if anything else from the Omni system is open.

I guessed on the 'e' before 'i' and figured I missed the extra 's' you had. Thanks on the feats import information.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
We're going to be dabbling outside d20 a little this coming year, just to test the waters and see if we can expand in new avenues.

We have 2 projects that will most likely use the True20 engine, though neither is D&D-esque fantasy (for which, I have to agree with Psion, you might as well just use d20). Aside from these, we have a couple of projects in development that will be using a completely new system (though they will likely be dual-statted as well) that was developed by the community over at the Dragon's Landing Inn Podcast (codename Project CHUPA).

Aside from this, I'm happy with d20, both fantasy and modern. It remains to be seen what will happen with 4e and its OGL status, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

smootrk

First Post
I have a feeling that if WotC makes 4E without some OGL considerations, then the trend will more likely be called an 'Exodus'.

Andre

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
For me, it's I don't want to see new and different systems when the current system could be used. Saw some fantasy setting with it's own rules that had elves, dwarves and dragons and I thought, "Why the hell didn't they use d20?"

Um...because D20 isn't the only decent system out there? Because it really only works for a specific type of fantasy game? Because once you've modified the system to reflect other genres, it's hardly d20 anymore? Because "d20 + modifiers" isn't always the best system for a particular game? Just because?

Really, the only advantage (and it's a huge one) to d20 is the installed base of players.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Andre said:
Um...because D20 isn't the only decent system out there?

and likely not the best.

I've been playing D&D for almost 3/4 of my life. I've constantly avoided other games and systems because I didn't want to learn them. In recent years, I've tried a few others and even found (IMO) some that are better and simpler than D&D / d20. I'm not dissing d20 at all. In fact, the next campaign I run will probably be D&D 3.5 as 1/3 of our current group has never played it.

We pretty much stick to d20. D&D, D20 Modern (and it expansions). My group with the exception of one player prefers all the crazy options for d20 that other systems seem to be lacking or simply dont allow.

Though I own things from OWOD, Exalted, Gurps, Call of Cthulhu and WEG's Star Wars, no one seems to really be interested in any long campaign, usually a long series of one shots.

Remove ads