Trend of Companies heading away from d20

yipwyg

First Post
I've been playing D&D for almost 3/4 of my life. I've constantly avoided other games and systems because I didn't want to learn them. In recent years, I've tried a few others and even found (IMO) some that are better and simpler than D&D / d20. I'm not dissing d20 at all. In fact, the next campaign I run will probably be D&D 3.5 as 1/3 of our current group has never played it.

I'm in the same boat.

I've been playing some form of D&D since I was 10, 36 now. In the past I was playing in multiple systems, it is only due to the lack of players in my area that I've been mainly playing running D&D just about exclusively, maybe once a year a white wolf game will be played.

In recent years I have been looking at various other RPG's and finding some of them fit what I want my gaming like better than D&D. One of the rpg's that I looked into only has 2 methods of determining task resolution target numbers, Static and opposed. It is a 2d10 + modifier system. The static number chart is like this

the first is the easy target number the highest is impossible target number. Depending on how high your total roll is determines you success level. Say jump skill starts out as easy, and you can jump 2' per success level. This is just an example to show, number might be higher or lower.

5 2'
10 4'
15 6'
20 8'
25 10 feet

The other mechanic for determining target number is the standard opposed roll, person wants to hit you. You roll 2d10 plus skill + modifier vs their 2d10 + skill + modifier. Whoever rolls higher wins.

I also find I like skill based games alot. You start out your character how he is before the campaign starts and as the campaign goes on, you allocate points into where you want your character to learn.

One of my characters would of benefited more in a skill based system. He started out as a woodsman who went searching for his lost sister, along the way he joined a thieves guild in the city where his sister was last seen, after finding his sister was posessed by a demon, he started studying various methods to combat these beings. In a skill based system I would of spent his points solely on the various skills he learnt through his years.

In D&D he ended up as a 2nd level Ranger/8th level Rogue/5th level Cleric. This fit the storyline, however it did not come out good mechanically speaking. When you compared him to the other members of the party he was not nearly as effective.

I hope when D&D gets to the 4th edition that they go even more skill based, and stick to one method, besides any static numbers, to calculate DC's. No more of this spells start at 10, abilities start at 10, these other abilities start at 15, traps start at 20 etc..... Just have everything start out at DC 15 or something and adjust from there.

Treebore

First Post
I'll second L5R. It does a much better job than the d20 Rokugan. I played a Rokugan game well into the Epic levels, then we tried out L5R 2E. The L5R 2E game was much better.

I would also like to suggest HARP and EPICrpg for non-d20 stuff. EPIC rpg is about the roleplaying, not power. Plus I like how it makes your "class" (it is a classless system) so wrapped up with your guild affiliations.

Then there is the always awesome Shadowrun, now with a rules set as awesome as the setting, to paraphrase a statement made by the ENNIES award accepter. To be grandma friendly for ENWorld.

I think the rules for EPIC rpg and L5R are probably the easiest to pick up. HARP and Shadowrun can take a while to understand everything.

Definitely don't be afraid to check out other systems. There are a lot of good ones. Don't let peoples claims that d20 is the best fool you. It depends on what your looking for. D20 Rokugan sucks in comparison to its d10 version. I don't even want to pretend what Shadowrun d20 would be like. Traveller d20 was not worth doing. Just re-write the 2d6 rules to be clear, concise, and correct.

I just recently picked up Call of Cthulhu 6th edition, after all these years of hearing about it. I am surprised at how much I am liking it.

I have to admit Runequest isn't exciting me, but I do like the Glorantha Second Age setting.

I have always liked stealling stuff from Harn, even though I never got into the system itself.

I decided long ago I don't like highly detailed systems, which is why I jumped for Castles and Crusades in place of 3E. Much simpler. HARP is close to hitting my tilt button for detail, but doesn't quit get there, because once you get through all the "detail" of creating your character, the play itself is pretty simple.

I would have gone with Fudge/Fate, but C&C made it easier to convert and use all editions of my D&D collection, so it won, hands down. Plus I like the mods that the Trolls have been putting out in support of it. Plus Gary's Yggsburgh book has been a mine of gaming ideas, and is nominally written for C&C.

Which reminds me, Gary's system is pretty easy, too. Much easier than the first one he came up with back in the 70's.

yipwyg

First Post
I love CoC. I have the d20 version but feel that it loses alot of its flavor compared to the original BRP one. The d20 version with increasing BAB, and combat oriented feats seemed to make it more of a combat oriented game.

I also just ordered the EPIC rpg, still tactical but like how it is a skill based system. I like the fact that anyone can attempt to do some things in combat, like shield bashes as long as you are carrying a shield. A lot of the things the game allows anyone to do, players don't because they do not have the corresponding feats to attempt it, or be good at it.

Last edited:

Twowolves

Explorer
Goodman Games, the makers of the Dungeon Crawl Classics, are putting out a non-d20 fantasy game based on the Dungeoneer card games in 2007.

Oh, and Great White Games IS Pinnacle, which did do d20 versions of Deadlands. To say GWG never did do d20 isn't exactly correct.

Psion

Adventurer
Treebore said:
It does a much better job than the d20 Rokugan.

I disagree with that. L5R RnK gives you limited tools to define a character, whereas the d20 system gave you the tools to add texture and variety to your character.

Psion

Adventurer
smootrk said:
I have a feeling that if WotC makes 4E without some OGL considerations, then the trend will more likely be called an 'Exodus'.

I wish I could believe that... but alas, it appears that the bog standard player doesn't really understand what the OGL is.

Psion

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
Great White Games is doing Solomon Kane using their Savage Worlds system. They aren't moving away from d20 because they never did d20.

They did Deadlands d20 and Wierd War, but they were never wholly committed to it, and non-support of d20 at this point is old news.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Twowolves said:
Oh, and Great White Games IS Pinnacle, which did do d20 versions of Deadlands. To say GWG never did do d20 isn't exactly correct.

Yep.

So. . . AEG, Margaret Weiss Productions, PEG/Great White, Chaosium, White Wolf/Sword & Sorcery, Mongoose, Atlas, Kenzer Co. Some formerly major players for d20.

I'd add TLG, though their primary support is thrown behind Castles & Crusades (which arguably is d20).

And companies that died in their pursuit of d20 (GoO) certainly did move away from it, but since they aren't around anymore. . .

And, of course, I can name dozens of publishers that never supported d20, but that's not what the OP is asking about ;)

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Psion said:
I disagree with that. L5R RnK gives you limited tools to define a character, whereas the d20 system gave you the tools to add texture and variety to your character.

You and I played different games. I liked the clearly defined focus and role of my characters. Societies like Rokugan are based on are very restrictive, their rules put that across very well. Part of the challenge of the setting is to succeed despite the societal and class restrictions. Something d20 Rokugan doesn't even really touch on.
So my characters we

Remove ads