Trials of Lorlamir

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
Hey dudes, I threw this together as some backstory for a neat little puzzle dungeon I am putting together. Tons of traps, riddles, puzzles, and statues that come to life os players progress finding clues for the main puzzle of the dungeon, a reflavored version of Einstein's 5 houses puzzle.

Anyway, thought I'd share. It's long and hastily thrown together so bare with me. I think I will have the quest giver give them the lore of the dungeon before they head off.

• Lorlamir was an ancient powerful wizard who ruled over the land that is now known as Xi.
  • Lorlamir was powerful indeed, being personally blessed by Boccob himself with a great knowledge of spellcraft.
  • Though his reign over his people was a prosperous one, for orc and goblin and other magic beasts dare not raid the growing city of man for fear of his prowess.
  • But Lorlamir longed for a son, as all kings do.
  • Finally, in his older years his wife became with child, twin boys. Lorlamir was elated at the news.
  • But this joy was soon displaced with sorrow, for Lorlamir feared age, not a monstrous fiend, would keep him from departing his ever-so-valuable knowledge to his sons.
  • Out of fear he crept from his castle and walked onto the edge of the seaside cliffs of the city. He summoned a devil to strike a deal.
  • But no devils would answer his summon for fear of the mage's power. Instead, Asmodeus himself appeared in front of Lorlamir.
  • Unflinching even in the presence of the Archdevil. Lorlamir struck an accord with the Overlord of the Nine Hells; he would no longer persecute Asmodeus' followers in exchange for the arcane knowledge that would extend his life.
  • They shook hands, and the magic flowed into Lorlamir that he was so desperate for.
  • So the began the mage in his frequent rituals. And soon his boys were firmly under the now energized wizards tutelage.
  • The boys became stronger with each winter. Always pushing beyond the boundaries Lorlamir thought was possible.
  • Eventually the mage, began work on training grounds for the boys scattered about the land.
  • And when they were old enough his sent them out with the knowledge they had to conquer his tests. These became known as the Trials of Lorlamir.
  • But Lorlamir was losing grasp on reality. Though his body was no longer aging each time he performed his secret ritual he began to become more and more erratic in his behavior.
  • The trials were also hard on the boys. 15 years in age they had been sent out to into the wilds to face not only the gauntlets laid out for them by their father, but also the trials of the road.
  • The boys grew hard, losing the love for their father they once held after being subjected to such tortures.
  • By the time the boys returned from their adventures, having passed all of their fathers tests, 4 more winters had passed. The twins had left as boys but returned to their fathers keep as men. Powerful men and master of both spell and blade.
  • Their father too had changed. He was on the brink of madness itself.
  • Their fateful reunion was not a joyous one. For in his madness, Lorlamir had convinced himself that his boys had abandoned him and that upon their return they meant to challenge him for rule of the kingdom he had built.
  • The boys, disillusioned by their hardships, had ironically, meant to punish their father and prove their prowess upon their return home.
  • Shortly after their arrival and with few words spoken between them, an epic battle was waged in the throne room. When it was done, the boys lay dead at Lorlamir's feet.
  • Realizing what he had done and believing himself to be going mad, the wizard knew what he had done to the boys in sending them out to face his trials.
  • The mage soon had gathered his magics and teleported to each one of his 8 temples locking away his magics spreading them throughout each of the trial sites.
  • As he went he sealed and hid each one.
  • His deeds done, the wizard king returned to his home and proceeded with his final act, sealing his fate. He destroyed all written knowledge of the life extending spell given to him by Asmodeus. Sealing his fate.
  • The locations of the 8 trials have not all be discovered. so far only two of the sites have been successfully found and traversed.
  • One by the great Hinther of Goldenleaf, and the other, by no other than Zanover himself.

Remove ads