• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trip, Disarm, and picking up a weapon... any rules say the following is not correct?

RedSwan78

First Post
Well, here's the basics:

Tripping a person makes them prone.
Standing up from prone is a Move Equivilent Action (MEA) that does NOT provoke an attack of Opportunity.
Picking up an item is a MEA that DOES provoke an attack of opportunity.

Here's the Scenario:

On my turn, I disarm my opponent. His weapon is now at his feet. On his action he decides to pick up his weapon. He picks it up, provoking an AoO, and I use my AoO to Trip him. He now has his weapon, but is prone... yes?

Now, my turn comes around again. He is on the ground, with his weapon in his hand. I choose to Disarm him. I win, he is disarmed.

Now, nowhere does it say that if you are already prone, you get to pick up an item as a free action that does NOT provoke an AoO, so on his turn, he choses to pick up his weapon again which DOES provoke an Attack of Opportunity, and uses his MEA, so I get an AoO on him, for Picking up an Item, Correct?

I also remember seeing something, somewhere, that said that you can only pick up an item or weapon if you are IN that square that it is in.. am I remembering seeing this correctly? If so, if you know where that comes from, it would be a great help!

Edit- this is assuming that I have Improved Disarm, and Improved Trip, although I didn't include the extra attack from Improved Trip above to make things simpler, I just wanted to focus on the questions that I'm asking. This whole example, of course, gets even nastier with the Dragon Magazine feat, Kick 'Em While They're Down ;) (Normally, standing up from Prone does NOT provoke an AoO.. the Kick 'Em feat makes it so that you CAN make an AoO against anyone standing up from Prone in your threatened area.) Of course, yes, I am also remembering that you can only make one AoO against the *same* opponent ONCE per round.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Re: Trip, Disarm, and picking up a weapon... any rules say the following is not corre

RedSwan78 said:
On my turn, I disarm my opponent. His weapon is now at his feet. On his action he decides to pick up his weapon. He picks it up, provoking an AoO, and I use my AoO to Trip him. He now has his weapon, but is prone... yes?

Yes. Then he finishes his action by standing up. He's allowed two MEA for his round if he doesn't do anything else.

Net result: zero!

Personally, I prefer the version where you Disarm, and then spend a MEA to kick his weapon away.

RedSwan78

First Post
Re: Re: Trip, Disarm, and picking up a weapon... any rules say the following is not corre

Conaill said:

Yes. Then he finishes his action by standing up. He's allowed two MEA for his round if he doesn't do anything else.

Net result: zero!

Personally, I prefer the version where you Disarm, and then spend a MEA to kick his weapon away.

Well, while that is true, with Improved Trip, after I tripped him and made him prone, I would get an immediate attack on him, per Improved Trip, which I could use to attack him with a +4 bonus for him being prone, or I could use it to disarm him again. Either way, he isn't moving away from me, he isn't attacking my party's wizard, and he isn't really doing any dmg to me. Doesn't seem *too* bad.. ;)

Anyone know if I was correct that you could only pick up an item if you are IN the square that it is in?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Does it provoke an AoO for you to kick his weapon away?

If not, then he should kick his own (dropped) weapon away, take his 5ft step (or rather 5ft roll) after his weapon, and THEN pick it up.

Of course, I allow prone folks to pick things up off the ground safely - so it's not really an issue for me.

RedSwan78

First Post
Ki Ryn said:

Of course, I allow prone folks to pick things up off the ground safely - so it's not really an issue for me.

So, what your saying is, is that you use a House Rule to do this. By the rules, there is NOTHING stating that picking up something is a free action that doesnt' provoke an AoO if you already on the ground.

I mean, not to get on you or anything, that's ok if that's a house rule, I'm just trying to find out if there are any *stated rules* that are saying any different.

I think I'd only be willing to go as far as saying that they can pick it up for free, but it still provokes an AoO.... but that is yet again another house rule ;)

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Hold on there tiger. If the weapon is dropped to the ground and the person is prone then are they really "picking-up" anything? I equate such a scenario more as "drawing" weapon than picking it up. Thus it would not provoke an AoO. But this depends on how one wishes to interpret it. To me, this does not actually qualify as picking up.

How one decides to interpret the action will depend on which rule applies.

Remove ads