• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Troupe of the Painted Soul IC!

dave_o

Explorer
Gently, waves lapped against the stone docks extending like fingers from Jewel - port city on the Eastern coast of Ulin. The name, perhaps, was a misnomer. Grime, residue from smokestacks of forges and other shops, settled upon nearly every surface other than the docks. For they were washed clean by the sea.

You had all booked passage on The Whispering Arrow, a smaller, quick cargo coaster sailing for Jewel. And disembarking, you found several dozen others just like it docked about you. You were inconspicuous - and that was perfect. Through letters, or your own accord, you sought out the Troupe of the Painted Soul, a new acting troupe said to strike against the Empire. Some, here for the money, others, for their hatred of the Emperor, but in any case - five of you stood there that sunset, just outside of Jewel.

A man strode forward, so nondescript it was obviously a premeditated effort. He rose a brow gently, making sure his hand never strayed far from the longsword belted at his hip, in a black scabbard like the rest of his all black attire. Even his hair, and eyes, were ebony.

"Jasper - will see you now."

Jasper. You'd all heard of him, the arranger of this troupe. You knew nearly nothing about him, save that he obviously had some sort of black hatred toward the Empire, and at least a passing interest in the arts. There was danger, here, walking into the unknown. But you followed.

Nearly a half hour later, winding through the grimy streets of Jewel, listening to the lamentating song of the beggars in the streets of the Poor Quarter, you arrived with your black consort in front of a similarly nondescript, two-storey building. He simply extended his hand, indicating the door. Apparently, your black consort would not be joining you.

Inside, the room, while poor, was cosy. It was a wide, yawning space, full of candles and paneled in wood, the entire room with exuding a rosy glow. Near the rear of the room stood a dark, mahogany desk, and behind it reclined he that could only be Jasper. He sat, feet upon the desk, admist a forest of parchments and ledgers. Long, tangled strands of gray hair spilled across his shoulders, clad in a rich, green vest and white tunic underneath. While the clothes were nice, they were quite soiled. His eyes, though, were strange. The faint light reflecting from them marked them as milk white. To his sides stood two more black consorts.

"I am not the ganglord I appear," he spoke, the words rolling of his lips like honey, though obviously aged, "and yes, I am blind."

At that, the consort on his right stepped toward the end of the line, you five lined up before Jasper. He ran his eyes up and down the person -

"Young, blonde, sexy. She's got a basket."

Jasper laughed gently, "Alric, I would appreciate if you were strictly factual in your observations," at which the consort namde Alric made a face like but she is! "You must be Carrie, the Burning One. Hailing from the Shining Islands, you are here for pay, and you will be paid - respectably. I admire your strength in the divine, m'lady," Jasper nods his head, though completely not in her direction.

Alric makes his way to the next in line, repeating-

"Tall, lanky, seven earrings."

"Oh," Jasper smiles broadly, "the famed Harlequin. I much admire Lady Elena's Triumph, I've recited it myself. You are here with a black hatred for the Empire, and I share it - in untold quantities. You shall be paid, as well, but I know were you not, you would remain in any case."

"Blonde, traveller's gear."

"Dembrilion, then," he gently bites his bottom lip, surprisingly smooth for his age, perhaps a product of the biting, "I admire your skills in, indeed, it seems nearly all things. You are dualistic in your reasons, though - pay, and hatred."

"Looks like one of us, boss."

"Ah! That'll be Kail. He will, perhaps, be joining your ranks, Alric."

And, finally, "An elf."

"Zinovii," Jasper speaks with perfect pronounciation, "I will highly value your arts among the troupe. You are a mystery, though, and I am sad to say you will have more careful eyes upon you."

Alric, slowly, returns to his post near Jasper. Jasper, slowly, achingly, stands, folding his hands behind his back.

"There is not so much to say, now. You all know why you are here. But we are, at heart, an acting troupe. While we have other, more true motives, we act. We perform. And at the very least we shall bring a small amount of joy into the lives of the prolateriat. Do not forget this."

Reaching forward, he brings up a large, beautifully written piece of parchment, recently pressed. He flattens it upon the desk, and casts his eyes upward, lying a quill upon it.

"It is now simply a matter of signing the charter. But, I beseech you, any questions you may have for me - direct them before signing. I do not take contracts lightly."

Last edited:

Neowolf

First Post
Kail stands with his arms crossed through Jasper's spiel, looking thoroughly unimpressed. When he finishes talking, Kail narrows his eyes, and in his low, deep voice intones:

"Understand this, blind man: I'm not here to swing about on a trapeze and make a buffoon of myself. I'm here only because you've offered me a chance at revenge against those who wronged me. I'll provide security for your patrons in exchange, but do not expect me to play the clown for anyone's amusement."

Last edited:

apocalypstick

First Post
Christian brushes his auburn hair back from his eyes and frowns, slightly; the man who calls himself Jasper has him at an obvious disadvantage - and while he is somewhat unnerved that these men know who wears the Harlequin's mask, he is even moreso bothered by the fact that these gathered strangers now know as well.

Still, there can be no gain without risk - and, truth be told, it is Christian Hargrave, the bard, whose life is the falsehood - in his bitter heart, Christian is the Harlequin through and through.

He takes a step forward and bends at the waist, slightly, to examine the contract, though he knows little of such things - his pale blue eyes briefly flicker upward once, twice, to study blind Jasper and his two consorts.

{OOC: Christian is trying to get a "vibe" from Jasper and/or his henchmen - are they excited? nervous? or anything else that might suggest some subterfuge he has not mentioned? Sense Motive +9}

Last edited:

squirrel

First Post
Dembrilion

Dembilion, a little unsure how much this Jasper knows about his past, steps foward, bows towards Jasper, and says with a slight smile, "I thank you for your kind words, and I congratulate you for knowledge that few know about me. It appears you have some very impressive skills. I only have one pressing question: Will transportation be provided for us, so that we can spread the joy of this troupe."

Edit: Removed sig

Last edited:

Carrie gives a hint of a smile to Alric, as he describes her, making sure he catches a glimpse of it before refocusing on the situation. As everyone else is being described, her eyes dart around the room, and then to other people invited here-pausing, to consider her options. She slides onto the large basket, crossing her legs and takes a moment of thought, but only a moment.

"What would it take to get paid double?" She asks, unashamedly, when Jasper finishes. She looks around to the people next to her, for a moment, "It's an honest question, I perfer to keep the boring formalities out when I'm making a deal-it's just my way." She sighs, and then looks back to the old man, "So...what were you saying?"

dave_o

Explorer
Jasper regards Kail with blind eyes, looking past and through him, as he reclines back into his chair. At Kail's harsh words, Alric steps forward, a hand upon his longsword - but as his boot clomps upon the floor, Jasper raises a hand.

"Hardly, friend. Our play to be performed here, The Charmed Life of Earl Wheeler, is hardly a circus affair. It, like most things we exhibit, is a vieled commentary upon the Empire. It will expose those who are potential allies, and may I say," he allows a slight smile, "quite a play."

Jasper doesn't seem to notice Christian's approach, but at a light touch from the black consort opposite Alric, he clears his throat. Christian can read nothing from Jasper's features, but it seems Alric displays a bit of - jealousy? His eyes lie upon the new arrivals particularly sharply. The charter, on the other hand, is a simple affair. It allows quite a bit of free will among the troupe, only requiring members follow Jaspers wishes - and then, only through council. Most of the charter concerns the keeping of secrecy among the troupe, and the payment of fifty gold weekly.

Alric lets his gaze fall on Dembilion, speaking in quite a superior tone. "We provide and manage transportation for Jasper, and his employees." He stops, hastily, though, to return the smile to Carrie.

Jasper sighs as she speaks, though, drumming his fingers on the table, startling Christian a bit. "I wish I could pay all my players and guards thousands of gold a week, for what they do against the Empire is incredible. Yet, the life of an actor limits my payments to what they are. Though, I will not forget your offer - should something of particular danger appear, you shall be my first choice."

"That's fine," Carrie starts, "Pardon me, but I was just giving you my own little test." She smiles, girlishly. "I'm perfectly fine with the current salary," she says, getting up, and starting to walk towards the table.

There, she bends over and places the first signature upon the charter, giving a wink to Alric as she does so. When she's finished, she walks back to her basket, "Oh hurry up already," she says to the rest of the group, yawning slightly, "I just want to get settled in soon, that boat ride was attrocious."

She sighs as she takes a seat back on her basket, patting it slightly on the side while waiting for everyone else.

Last edited:

apocalypstick

First Post
"Everything looks to be in order, then," Christian says, favoring his sudden companions with a disarming grin, and signs the charter with a flourish.

"I thank you both for the compliment, o esteemed patron of the arts, and for the opportunity to join your troupe. Now, if you would but direct us to a copy of the script, a tavern with decent ale, and a place where we might wash the ocean's spray from our collective brow, perhaps we might continue this conversation over drinks?"

Neowolf

First Post
Keeping one eye trained on Alric, Kail slowly steps forward to examine the charter. After reading it over three or four times to check for loopholes (benefiting either party), he takes up the quill and signs his name in four sharp, angular characters.

That done, Kail moves to the back of the group and waits.

squirrel

First Post
After hearing Alric's response and finding it satisfactory, one less thing for him to worry about. Dembrilion steps forward, reads over the contract looking for anything out of the ordinary. After a few moments, satisfied that everything is in order, he signs the charter.

After signing he looks at Carrie and says, "One should always be careful about what they sign, you never know what you might be binding yourself too."

Last edited:

Remove ads