• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True 20 - Is it really Simpler?

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Jack Morgan said:
er what about cleave/great cleave?
or am I doing something wrong?

They give you extra attacks, but with a drawback. They still follow the rule of you having to drop your opponent in order to follow through on the other attacks.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Elodan said:
I've been watching this thread with interest and it has piqued my interest in True 20.

A question; how difficult is it to convert existing D&D 3.x adventures to use True20.
I want to re-iterate this question, since I'm really thinking about stealing a lot of Caliphate Nights for my homebrew, but want to run the Age of Worms adventure path due to real life constraints on prep time for adventures.

From what I can see without actually having the core True20 book, DnD spellcasters would be the toughest part of conversion.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
That's certainly a true statement. With all the changes from d20 to True20, the magic system is the most different. Probably the best way to "convert" a spellcaster is to just re-create the character from scratch using the True20 rules, picking powers that best represent the character's spells.

genshou

First Post
DnDChick said:
That's certainly a true statement. With all the changes from d20 to True20, the magic system is the most different. Probably the best way to "convert" a spellcaster is to just re-create the character from scratch using the True20 rules, picking powers that best represent the character's spells.
That's what I do when I convert WotC adventure NPC spellcasters for my games that use Elements of Magic - Revised Edition. With True20 it should be even easier to just rebuild them from scratch than in a more complicated magic system like EoMR.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Sir Brennen said:
I want to re-iterate this question, since I'm really thinking about stealing a lot of Caliphate Nights for my homebrew, but want to run the Age of Worms adventure path due to real life constraints on prep time for adventures.

From what I can see without actually having the core True20 book, DnD spellcasters would be the toughest part of conversion.

Conversions are relatively simple and there are detailed guidelines in both the main book and bestiary. I did a lot on the fly whilst we were playing them if that helps.

However, this is assuming that you use True 20 mechanics and don't try and convert absolutely everything. For example, classes and magic are dealt with differently. Trying to add these back in is difficult and defeats much of the benefits of True 20.

So, if you take a 15th level fighter/mage PC in d20 and make him a 15th level warrior/adept in True 20 then it is simple. If you try and replicate every ability outside of skills and feats it may be hard.

LordEther

First Post
Sir Brennen said:

Yeah, I'd agree with you and D&DChick on the spellcasters... they're definitely the most difficult. Also, though (and I'm not sure whether or not this'll matter to many folk, but I'lls ay it anyway), I've found that 3.5 monster stat blocks are slightly easier to convert than 3.0. This is because the standard 3.5 format has an entry for a creature's attack bonus. That makes the Combat bonus (and by extension, the new, True20 attack/defense bonuses, which are not necessarily dependent on Strength) come much faster. This is especially handy for "on the fly" conversions, where you're working out of a book (or Dungeon mag), as opposed to your own notes.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Said with such confidence:
barsoomcore said:
AoO will be the only way to get more than one attack per round

And then:
DnDChick said:
Not necessarily ... one can spend Conviction for an extra action of any type.
Plane Sailing said:
You can also use two weapon fighting to get more than one attack
Jack Morgan said:
er what about cleave/great cleave?

Alright, alright. But aside from Conviction, two-weapon fighting, cleave and great cleave, what have the Romans ever really done for us?

Remove ads