• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turmoil in the Golden Ring--A Slavic-themed game in the cold (IC Thread)

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Ivan Coldrunner, Slavic Ranger 3

Ivan chuckles. "I don't need a fire, it'd just complicate things. Give me a little while and I'll find those tracks."

OOC: Keep searching until something turns up.

johnsemlak

First Post
Dm

After loosing the trail, Ivan searches the area very carefully. The snow is now greatly impeding his efforts, but his keen eyes notice (Survival check: natural 20!) a very slight low point in some parts of the snow. Ivan manages points in the direction of the southeast and leads the party on.

After the snow has stopped for some time, the quarry's tracks become much easier to see in the freshly fallen snow and the tracking become somewhat elementary (no check necessary).

Three hours after you resume tracking, you reach the banks of the Klyazma river, a river flowing roughly east/west. The river is about 100-150 yards wide. It's not frozen over. You can see three small boats on the opposite side. Also, the forest continues on the other side.

You might be able to find a place upriver somewhere where fording is possible--the river has some islands that would make it easier. But none of you are sure.

Snow has stopped completely for some time, and the sky is reasonably clear.

Last edited:

taitzu52

First Post
(OOC-are there ANY aquatic animals available to a Slavic caster at lvl. 1 summon nature's ally? A porpoise would be great, but....well, you know.)

johnsemlak

First Post
DM

OOC: Frost and Fur actually has an alternative Summon Nature's Ally list, but the list is a little wonky. The second level list includes a shark and octopus! (both rather rare in Russian rivers :))

For Level 1 aquatic animals appropriate to the setting, I'd suggest the following:
Skakushka (a large, unusual frog) (new monster from Frost and Fur)
Giant Pike (I'll either find one or create one appropriate for the spell)
Porpoise
River Otter (I'll base it off the Sea Otter in Frostburn).

taitzu52

First Post
(OOC-Would any of these be appropriate to summon in a river, and if so, could it drag a boat across the river? Sorry if this sounds "out there", but it's what a druid does. Heck, I'd summon a Dire Sturgeon if I thought it'd help!)

johnsemlak

First Post
OOC: Very creative :)

Brata speaks some words on old slavonic-- 'Vyidra reki, pomagita menya'

Instantly, a creature comes from nowhere, swimming in the river. It is a river otter. The long furry creature follows Brata's commands, and swims to the boats. It manages to grap a rope hanging in the water and pull it into the water. In about 3 minutes, the otter manages to bring it to the other side.

The boats are small and can hold a maximum of three people. The otter retreives a second boat, taking about 6 minutes in total.

It takes the party a total of about 15 minutes to cross the river.

The tracks of the creatures are in plain site and lead in the same direction as before, deep into the forest.

It is nearly 5:00 a.m. Dawn is still a few hours away, though light will be appearing somewhat sooner.

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter
Misha, Human Paladin

Misha blinks as he sees the otter suddenly appear. As it drags the first boat he clears his throat. "Very impressive, that." He's somewhat lost for words.
When the party reaches the opposite shore Misha suppresses a tired yawn. "Ivan, do you think we are gaining on them?"

Nantonaku

First Post
Stanislava

Is amazed at the summoning of the otter, but very happy not to have to find a crossing up river. After the crossing, she says to Yair and Ivan, " perhaps we have lost time due to the delay in the crossing?, We must make haste".

Remove ads