• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turnabout Is Fair Play - Female Gamers

WayneLigon

Adventurer
We've all seen groups where the girlfriend is brought along to play; maybe she gets into the game, maybe she doesn't, but the stereotype is that when her boyfriend leaves, she will as well.

I've had several experiences opposite to that.

1. Husband and wife. Husband games while wife and a couple other wives/giflfriends knit and chat. Wife listens, though, to all the table talk. Finally, during a long roleplaying-intensive session, she can't stand it anymore; she tosses aside the knitting and says 'You people really suck at this in-character stuff' and proceeds to 'create' a character right then and there to negotiate with the ship captain or whatever, just so the session can get back on track and she can stop listening to their fumbling around and complaining. Next week she has a PC and proceeded to game regularly with them for at least six years or so until I lost track of them.

2. Guy brings girlfriend along to play. Girlfriend dutifully is guided through character creation. Three weeks later girlfriend is bugging me about character optimization. She's hooked. Boyfriend gets bored with gaming and leaves. I think she noticed him going, maybe not.

caudor

Adventurer
I'm not sure gender is a function of interest in D&D. Some males get hooked; others don't. Some females get hooked; others don't.

Nevertheless, there are apparently more males than females playing D&D. So I might be totally wrong.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Heck, I started playing D&D because my girlfriend strongly convinced me to play. Three years, a shelf of RPG books, and over a thousand miniatures later, here I am.

S'mon

Legend
I once had a boyfriend & girlfriend pair in my group - fun players - they both seemed equally 'into' D&D as far as I could tell. All the other female players in my group joined on their own initiative.

lazarus1020

First Post
I have played with several female gamers and I must say that I actually prefer to have atleast one in my gaming group. I dated a girl once and she was already an avid gamer. She continued to play with us even after we broke up and only stopped after she was married.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
On at least six occassions with the gaming group I played in back in college the guy would bring his girlfriend into the group and when they broke up he left and she stayed. It was the only group I ever heard of that had a female majority, which as a single guy at the time I didn't mind one bit. Of course, it helped that the game was hosted by an older woman who made other females feel very welcome in her home.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Playing with women is trouble. They don't care about roleplaying, just like to hack and slash, swear too much at the table (which tends to embarrass male players and make it difficult to add new ones to the group), and tend to always have sex on their minds and manage to find really crude innuendoes in everything.

Trouble, I tell you.

shilsen said:
Playing with women is trouble. They don't care about roleplaying, just like to hack and slash, swear too much at the table (which tends to embarrass male players and make it difficult to add new ones to the group), and tend to always have sex on their minds and manage to find really crude innuendoes in everything.

Trouble, I tell you.

Yeah I totally agree (not!)

Women do seem to have different tastes in gaming generally. Video game statistics are a good example, especially in cases where female characters are reasonably shaped and dressed (as cases where females are unrealistically shaped and under-dressed drive away female gamers).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads