TURTLEDOME!: Battle Bone (DM: KenHood, Judge: Lord S.)

KenHood

First Post
Impressive, but I could get a zombie in here and have it do sit-ups for the next five or six years, until the humidity damages its body to the point that it can no longer function."

OOC: Don't rush the skill challenge! Your earnings depend on it, and you get XP if you win it. Also, you've another skill challenge after this: the trash-talk for the match. More XP--possible cash rewards and bonuses for the fight.​

fireinthedust

Explorer
300, and a change at some magical items after three rounds? Our thanks!
I was wondering what you could tell us about the use of our images in marketing? Would there be a time limit, and would it only be regarding this match? And what level of control could we have, for personal image reasons, over what our likenesses are used for?
I think Vaunea's doll idea is great, but I was thinking about that Chess set in the market on the way over here. I like the idea, but I think it would be great to have a set based on our group. A pocket version, perhaps, and one fit with the larger set. In fact, I've been devising an alternate game using similar squares and figurines, for mini-battles like this one. I imagine a fight like we're prepared to give you could be commemorated properly and in an ongoing way. Who wouldn't want to act out legendary battles using familiar figurines?

Emral holds out his palms, and a tiny image of the group as Chess peices floats above them. The get smaller, and are surrounded by skeletons, and the two groups shift around a hexagonal grid, battling one another.

Reklaw

First Post
Drivan listens to his companions input with appreciation, other than a few stumbles everyone seems to be doing well.

Drivan rises from his chair with a humble nod to Mr. Pinch, "Sir, I have an idea that I would like to proposition you with as long as everyone else is agreeable... You mentioned earlier that you have an issue with untested adventurers, perhaps we could provide a contractual agreement to provide guaranteed entertainment every time you arrive in this great city of ours? Of course this would be based off of our performance here in the arena. Perhaps if we get a Green on the approval-meter we will get a bonus of 100 GP on our current pay out and will set our contracted price at 100 GP per adventurer? I'm sure this will bring up your revenue as well as increase your marketing potential..."

[sblock=Diplomacy check]1d20+6[8,6] = (14) link[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
300, and a change at some magical items after three rounds? Our thanks!
"You're welcome. It's a generous offer for new adventurers. I hope you can see that in truth."

...Who wouldn't want to act out legendary battles using familiar figurines?
Who, indeed? Why if I knew of some individuals involved in a battle of legendary scope, I'd be the first to make figurines of them. Sadly, I do not.

Mr. Pinch gives a wry smile.

Or is this a roundabout means of asking for a set of chess figures in your own image? If so, I suppose I could have my artisans whip some up. It should cost you no more than 50 gold pieces...

OOC: Emral's comments add no progress to the skill challenge because no skill check was involved.​

"You mentioned earlier that you have an issue with untested adventurers, perhaps we could provide a contractual agreement to provide guaranteed entertainment every time you arrive in this great city of ours?"
Mr. Pinch again favors the party with a wry grin.

"Considering the--shall we say--monumental difficulty of your group to submit to a very simple contract for a fight which you requested in my arena, I can only imagine the problems with a long-term contract."

"No. I'm afraid that I shall have to pass on that one."

"Perhaps if we get a Green on the approval-meter we will get a bonus of 100 GP on our current pay out..."
"Hmm. An interesting point. I'm willing to make a concession here."

"If your party can raise the Approvalometer to a green level during the preliminaries of the match (often called "Trash Talk" by the common people), I will be happy to forward you a sum of 100 gold pieces. We close all betting just after the preliminaries. Were your party to provide a good showing during the 'Trash Talk', I can imagine the people would rush the betting windows, increasing my take during the event."

"It seems to me that your primary issue is the money you shall receive for the match. May I suggest that you seek sponsorship from some noble, guild, or merchant? Many are willing to provide you with funds--even before a match--if you'll wear a particular type of color or clothing or somesuch to support their ideology or product. I'd bet that one or two sponsors may be trawling outside the entry to the TURTLEDOME! at this moment, waiting to descend on unwary adventurers."

"Also, I'd suggest placing a bet on the match. You can approach our bookies at any time--of course, after you have signed the contract, so there will actually be a match. I'd suggest placing a bet on the Legion of Bone..."

He grins a nasty, challenging grin.

"So, if your party agrees to fight in TURTLEDOME!, you stand to receive...
  • A prize purse of 300 gp,
  • 100 gp, conditional on achieving a green Approvalometer rating during the preliminaries to the match,
  • A minor magical item (for each member of the party), conditional on surviving to the third round of the match and maintaining a green Approvalometer reading,
  • And finally, Ms. Vaunea shall receive a plush doll of herself, conditional on victory by your party.
I don't know about you, but this seems a very, very generous offer. Shall we sign?"

Mr. Pinch gestures. The contract and quill levitates before your party.

OOC: Skill Challenge Progress -- Success 6 (of 8), Failure 1 (of 4)

You may quit at this point, if you wish, or press on for greater rewards.​

mohalloran

First Post
Vaunea dons her armor again after concluding her physical outburst. "No tricks! No steal axe! Don't want lose armor too."

Vaunea then pauses. "Also, how 'trash talk' work? Vaunea want make thingy green."

Reklaw

First Post
Drivan nods agreeably when Mr. Pinch makes his point regarding the effort involved in a long-term contract. "I can definitely see your point there. Thank you for agreeing with me on the other point. I am satisfied with our current agreement, if everyone else is feeling agreeable perhaps we should take our chances with the nobles and guilds seeking Adventurers to sponsor?"

[sblock=OOC]Quick question, just realized that I might be able to look up the Legion of Bone at the library and perhaps get some insight into how we might defeat them? Just wanted to check before I suggested the idea IC...

Any of you guys looked at Arcane Power yet? Not sure what the release day is but they add tomes to a wizard's possible implements and they add the summoning build, haven't looked at the excerpt much myself.[/sblock]

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Drivan nods agreeably when Mr. Pinch makes his point regarding the effort involved in a long-term contract. "I can definitely see your point there. Thank you for agreeing with me on the other point. I am satisfied with our current agreement, if everyone else is feeling agreeable perhaps we should take our chances with the nobles and guilds seeking Adventurers to sponsor?"

[sblock=OOC]Quick question, just realized that I might be able to look up the Legion of Bone at the library and perhaps get some insight into how we might defeat them? Just wanted to check before I suggested the idea IC...

Any of you guys looked at Arcane Power yet? Not sure what the release day is but they add tomes to a wizard's possible implements and they add the summoning build, haven't looked at the excerpt much myself.[/sblock]

I'm concerned about two things: first, my motivation for this arena is to test out my abilities; any treasure and items are important, especially if they will be useful to me later on, but what attracts me to this arena is the opportunity to fight with a group.
Second, I don't want to be caught up in any long-term arrangements or contracts, however, and I want to make sure that anything I sign allows me to go my own way with the experience gained here, and the magic trinket offered, and enough gold to buy that magical chess set. That's my personal take, separate from everyone else in this group as far as I know.
Later business can be dealt with later. If it's alright with you, Mr. Pinch, if this goes well we can discuss further options, but I would like it if we could discuss that after the match.

[sblock=ooc] Legion of Bone: good thinking.

Nobles and Guilds: do you mean advertizers who might want to give us cash for wearing t-shirst? Heh.

I'm about done with the skill challenge as a player, but right now I just don't want to get trapped by this Oni. Not to Meta-game, and I don't know if I should roll before saying this, but this many magical contracts and creatures in an Oni's service have my PC-neck hairs on edge. Otherwise, I kinda want to blow up some skeletons.
Have we looked at the whole contract, though? Is everyone comfortable with the wording?

Arcane Power: sounds fun, but keep in mind L4W needs people to approve of and sign off on any additional source material for the game. Dark Pact warlocks can't be used, for example, but the rest of the FR player's guide is ok (as far as I know).
I like the idea of a Tome implement, though I don't know what it does.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Vaunea then pauses. "Also, how 'trash talk' work? Vaunea want make thingy green."

"I've been awaiting that question, my dear. The Approvalometer is one of the greatest innovations of TURTLEDOME!. It permits the crowd to directly influence the battle in the arena...

GAME FACTS...
The Approvalometer converts the collective psychic energy of the crowd to manipulate probability in the arena. If the crowd likes you, you tend to hit with greater accuracy, inflict more damage, and avoid more of your opponent's attacks. If the crowd does not like you, it's the opposite.

The Approvalometer looks like a cross between a barber's pole and a neon light. It has three sections: Green (for positive approval), Yellow (for ambivalence), and Red (for disapproval).

In most cases, an unknown group begins in the Yellow section of the meter. By spouting snappy catchphrases, performing feats of strength, putting on a good show, and so forth during the preliminaries to a match, a team can increase its rating on the Approvalometer. (These are part of a skill challenge.)

During a match, a member of a team can spend a standard action to perform a social skill check (i.e. Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate) to influence the crowd. You can either a) cause the crowd to like you more, or b) cause the crowd to dislike your opponents. Using the action at appropriate moments is important. For instance, if a teammate had just performed a critical hit, it's a good time to 'work the crowd'.

The DC usually starts around 12 or 15, but gets more difficult the farther along the meter you try to go.

The Approvalometer has the following levels and effects...
  • +7 -- Green (+1 to all attack rolls)
  • +6 -- Green
  • +5 -- Green (+1 to all defenses)
  • +4 -- Green
  • +3 -- Green (+1 to all damage rolls)
  • +2 -- Yellow
  • +1 -- Yellow
  • 0 -- Yellow
  • -1 -- Yellow
  • -2 -- Yellow
  • -3 -- Red (-1 to all damage rolls)
  • -4 -- Red
  • -5 -- Red (-1 to all defenses)
  • -6 -- Red
  • -7 -- Red (-1 to all attack rolls)
Also, for every level of green a party achieves, that party gains a 'Token of Favor', at any time during a team-member's turn, a team-member may spend the token for one of the following effects...
  • Get Up! -- spend a Healing Surge as a free action (even if unconscious)
  • Get Going! -- gain an extra action, as if having spent an action point.
  • Do It Again! -- regain the use of an encounter or daily power that you have already expended.
  • Try Harder! -- re-roll a failed attack roll with a +1 bonus.
...If it's alright with you, Mr. Pinch, if this goes well we can discuss further options, but I would like it if we could discuss that after the match.
Mr. Pinch nods as the party talks. He smiles in a condescending manner.
"Considering that I do not make contracts with 'civilized' species, there may be nothing to discuss at all..."

[sblock=OOC]
Quick question, just realized that I might be able to look up the Legion of Bone at the library and perhaps get some insight into how we might defeat them? Just wanted to check before I suggested the idea IC...
Yes. You may. I've been waiting for one of y'all to think of this. Other skills might be brought to bear as well...

Nobles and Guilds: do you mean advertizers who might want to give us cash for wearing t-shirst? Heh.
That's exactly it.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Hi folks, I'm back. Sound like you're all having fun :)
Arcane Power: sounds fun, but keep in mind L4W needs people to approve of and sign off on any additional source material for the game. Dark Pact warlocks can't be used, for example, but the rest of the FR player's guide is ok (as far as I know).
I like the idea of a Tome implement, though I don't know what it does.
As a matter of fact, you can use Dark Pact warlocks (as well as the rest of the FRPG, except the regions). The only stipulation we made was that any of the powers that hurt allies to gain greater effects must have the approval of the players of said allies before they can hurt that ally. In other words, if you're in a party with a Dark Pact warlock, he can't hurt you with his team-mate sacrificing powers unless you want to let him ;) Just thought I'd clear that up. [/sblock]

Remove ads